AppWorx, Dollar Universe and Sysload Community

View Only
  • 1.  DUAS agent migrated to the Azure cloud and is unreachable

Posted Oct 02, 2020 04:24 PM
    Hello,

We had a $U agent on Windows 2016 server that was migrated to the cloud, and the IP address changed.  Note that the UVMS/UVC node is still on-prem.  We were not notified about it, and only saw from UVC and the status shows, "Node Unreachable".  Our current setting of the host name was an IP address, not a DNS name.
    We contacted support, and told us to update the host name with the DNS, using command, unims -update -host <Hostname>.  So we did, but we got an error, 
    "Error 100 setting ports"  
    We contacted our network team, and they said that there are no firewall rules to the ports on the cloud to the on-prem UVMS.
    Are there any known issues when migrating DU to the cloud?  Are there other settings that need to change? 
    Can you kindly assist, as our scheduler has been down for 5 days now.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Gerry Muyargas

• 2.  RE: DUAS agent migrated to the Azure cloud and is unreachable

Posted Oct 05, 2020 12:26 AM
    Hello Gerry,

I hope you are well. 

It seems you have already verified that the ports are open in both directions, from UVC/UVMS to the Dollar Universe node as well as the reverse path. The error message seems to still be pointing to a port issue, though. Just to make sure we have verified every avenue, here are the ports we need to check:

- The UVMS port (by default 4184) must be opened and accessible bi-directionally (from the cloud Dollar Universe node to the on-prem UVMS node)
    - The Dollar Universe ports (by default 10600-10620) must also be opened and accessible bi-directionally
    - Finally, since many cloud providers close all tcp ports for security reasons, you must also specifically open the ephemeral port range (49152 to 65535). This particular port range is often overlooked and is the main issue customers experience when installing Dollar Universe to cloud environments. 

Here is some more information about the ephemeral port range: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephemeral_port

Once these port ranges have been opened, please try the 'unims -register' command once more. 

I hope that helps!

Regards,

Domenico Cotugno

------------------------------
    Cordialement,
    Support Automation Apta

• 3.  RE: DUAS agent migrated to the Azure cloud and is unreachable
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 05, 2020 07:51 PM
    Thanks for your response Domenico.  The ports were actually opened, and no firewall rules in between,
    I actually got the internal support team assist me further, and asked for info to verify the ports are open.  Then I was told to execute the command below from the DUAS node, not the command you mentioned.

unims -update -login user -pwd password -passphrase passphrase

I then did it, using a random passphrase, and was able to successfully update the node information.  After that the node status tuend to 'Not connected'.  I then restarted DUAS, and successfully started; connection established.

I just want to understand exactly what the passphrase is about and what its purpose is?  I used new random word. 
    Should we bring down DUAS just before we migrate to the cloud?  Do I have to use this same passphrase each time to restart DUAS?
    Please explain further.

Thanks gain in advance for your help.
    Best regards,
    Gerry

• 4.  RE: DUAS agent migrated to the Azure cloud and is unreachable

Posted Oct 06, 2020 08:38 AM
    I'm glad you got it working, Gerry.

The passphrase is usually generated, automatically, upon Dollar Universe's first registration to the UVMS. This passphrase is a unique key that allows the DUAS node to communicate with the UVMS without using the UVMS credentials, as it would be insecure to use the UVMS admin credentials for every communication and those credentials may also change after registration. If this node was moved from an on-prem location to the cloud, the phrase.key file may have moved along with it and would be invalid as it is hashed based on the original node's installation (since this is a security feature, I cannot say exactly what information is used for the hash, but when changing hostname or IP address, it is good practice to flush the phrase.key). Using the -passphrase modifier of the unims command allowed you to generate a new phrase.key file which now allows the UVMS and DUAS node to communicate correctly. Another way to do it would have been to manually delete the phrase.key file and use the unims -register command. The -passphrase modifier would not have been necessary as $U would automatically create a new phrase.key file if none was present.  I hope that helps to clarify the situation. 

Regards,

Domenico Cotugno

Cordialement,
    Support Automation Apta

• 5.  RE: DUAS agent migrated to the Azure cloud and is unreachable

Posted Oct 06, 2020 08:54 AM
    Yes, your explanation helps a lot.  Thanks again for all your help Domenico.

Best regards,
    Gerry Muyargas

• 6.  RE: DUAS agent migrated to the Azure cloud and is unreachable

Posted Nov 04, 2020 05:02 PM
    Yes indeed , thank Domenico for this answer

If you don't use node tags, you can delete the node into you console and register the node, as it is done at the end of the installation.
    This initiate the whole registration: (unims -register ...)
    * new passphrase
    * new node identification with its identification (the wen IP)

Sure you can
    -update -host  then -update -passphrase 
    but shortcut by using -register if no important information into the UVMS node identification)

Regards
    Eric