AppWorx, Dollar Universe and Sysload Community

View Only
  • 1.  Upgrade from 12.0.4 to 12.2.3

Posted Sep 03, 2019 04:35 PM
    Hello,

Does the following line in the ZDU Upgrade Process mean that one of the requirements for this process is that an alternaive MS SQL Server schema should already be in use? 

ZDU is possible when the alternative MS SQL Server schema is already in use. However, you cannot use it to switch to this schema.

-- Here's part of the upgrade doc where the above line is used. 
    Upgrade Process

As of version 11.2 of the Automation Engine you can use the <madcap:conditionaltext data-mc-conditions="guideConditions.AWA">Zero Downtime Upgrade</madcap:conditionaltext><madcap:conditionaltext data-mc-conditions="guideConditions.AWA">(ZDU)</madcap:conditionaltext> to upgrade your AE system with <madcap:conditionaltext data-mc-conditions="guideConditions.AWA">no downtime</madcap:conditionaltext>. 
    A wizard is provided to guide you through the whole process. There is no need for scripting or use of AE internals. You only need to follow the steps that are visible in the Automic Web Interface at each step.

Below you find a description of the steps necessary for upgrading your system without any downtime using the ZDU wizard.
     This process equally applies to an upgrade of a major or minor version or a service pack.

Using ZDU from v11.2 to v12: Available directly in your client via a prompt. Note that you need to use the classical UserInterface for this purpose. Please download it directly from the Automic Download Center.

Using ZDU from v12 onwards: Available from client 0000 exclusively. Here you can use the new Automic web interface.

ZDU is possible when the alternative MS SQL Server schema is already in use. However, you cannot use it to switch to this schema.

Our consultants are experts in upgrading AE systems. Contact Automic, our experts will be pleased to assist you whenever it is necessary.

Thanks,
    Lon

• 2.  RE: Upgrade from 12.0.4 to 12.2.3

Posted Sep 04, 2019 03:41 AM
    ​Hi.

I can't help with MS SQL server since we use a different db with Automic. I do read that, however, as claiming that ZDU can be done DESPITE having an "alternative schema",  that it's NOT a requirement. I'd usually advise to check other language versions if Automic's intentions are unclear, but if you're going for 12.x ... well, there aren't any.

Maybe @Frank Muffke can also help with more insights, he is on Windows and has done ZDU, I believe?

However:

I strongly recommend to test every ZDU in a test environment first where you can easily revert to snapshots and start over. Because the ZDU has been finnicky in the past. This will also help to discover whether it works without the "alternative schema".

Hth,
    ​​

• 3.  RE: Upgrade from 12.0.4 to 12.2.3
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 04, 2019 03:59 AM
    Buenos Morgos,

I performed a ZDU twice from 11.2.X to 11.2.X in my sandbox without any change of SQL DB.
    Think that is meant as an option.

I performed about 6 ZDUs in my company from 11.2.3 to 11.2.9 as well (Linux, ORA)

Hint#1: I would not recommend ZDU for V11.2 (PWP stopped, all queues stopped, ....)
    Hint#2: I would not perform a ZDU for major Version upgrades. We currently plan the upgrade ffrom 11.2.9 to 12.3 - common way.

cheers, Wolfgang ​

------------------------------
    I know I do really know it!
    ------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Upgrade from 12.0.4 to 12.2.3

Posted Sep 04, 2019 02:18 PM
    Thank you Wolfgang and Carsten for the feedback. 

-Lon