AppWorx, Dollar Universe and Sysload Community

View Only

Banner agent jdbc, and ProgramConnect logins. How they are used.

• 1.  Banner agent jdbc, and ProgramConnect logins. How they are used.

Posted Jun 10, 2020 05:24 PM
    Hi everyone,

I have a best practice/how to question I need some help with. We are running Applications
    Manager V9.3.1 with the Rapid Automation Banner agents.

We run multiple remote agents on our Banner Jobsub systems. Each of our Banner agents use this
    for job submission from the master. There is one agent for instance BANJBP1 (BANJBP1 database)
    which needs the ability to run jobs against CSU Fort Collins data, and also CSU Pueblo data.
    The data is seperated within the database so only specific users can see one or the other
    data. The "jobprd" user can only see CSU FC data, and csup_jobprd only CSU Pueblo data.

The problem I am running into is which user does the BANJBP1 agent use for the jdbc, and
    ProgramConnect logins. You can only point to one or the other, jobprd, or csup_jobprd inside of
    the login. Now when the Automation runs a job they point to the agent, and a login. This is at
    the job level.

One of the DBA's asked me a question which I was not sure about. The DBA told me we need to
    figure out why it uses the agent level connection instead of the login at the job level?
    He asked me why does it even have the login field on jobs if it always uses the agent one
    anyway? I was not sure how to answer that other than it must use the jdbc, and ProgramConnect
    logins to connect, but I was not sure about using it for authority, and permission to certain
    data? You would think this is what the login at the job level would be used for.

We disussed if it comes too it the possibility of needing a second agent. One BANJBP1 that uses
    the jobprd user for CSU FC processing, and one BANJBP1_CSUP that uses csup_jobprd for CSU Pueblo
    processing. The jobs which are run then need to point to the correct agent, and login associated
    with it.

Management is even thinking about taking on more schools that will be connected to CSU FC. So what
    I do here will come in handy for other schools.

Thank you very much, I appreciate the help.

Rich