AppWorx, Dollar Universe and Sysload Community

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Invoking the jobs through Service ID in Automic tool but login should be with individual ID

• 1.  Invoking the jobs through Service ID in Automic tool but login should be with individual ID

Posted Mar 15, 2018 07:43 PM

Hi,

Is there any way to invoke the Automic Jobs through service ID (common ID which will be used by all the team members) while the login will be with the individual ID's? Any comments? Thanks!

• 2.  Invoking the jobs through Service ID in Automic tool but login should be with individual ID

Posted Mar 16, 2018 06:21 AM
    Hi

Is this really a respons to community?
    :p

What are you exactly talking about?
    which kind of automic jobs? OS jobs? SQL Jobs?
    Which product & version do you use?
    which kind of IDs are you referring to?

cheers, Wolfgang

• 3.  Invoking the jobs through Service ID in Automic tool but login should be with individual ID

Posted Mar 16, 2018 06:47 AM
    Dear PoornimaKanneganti604528,

the following is based on my best understanding of your question, which is unfortunately not very clear to me.

There are multiple APIs to Automation Engine that can start jobs. There is a REST API, a Java API, and one in Powershell. Of course you can use any of these APIs to start jobs, and of course you can build any sort of solution arround Automic that uses a shared account to let people do this.

However, how you'd then want to relate that shared account to individual accounts on the AE-facing side of the application you'd have to create for this, that is absolutely beyond me.

Sure, you COULD for example let anyone log in with the same account to a webserver, then figure out their client IP or some other property, and based on that, use their Automic account towards the engine. But then you'd have to store their AE passwords in your web application, find a property that's not forgeable to identify the individual, and it all sounds to me frankly like a not fully baked idea that has not much merit, if I may be so bold as to say this.

You'd probably be configuring some security nightmare and might possibly just as well skip authentication entirely.

Security is inconvinient, that's oftentimes the nature of it.

To simplify the user experience and reduce the amount of accounts, I much rather recommend you look into AD integration of the AE engine, or restricted service catalogs.

Hth,
    Carsten