Layer7 API Management

View Only

Migrate Data from Virtual Appliance RHEL 9.2 to Virtual Appliance CentOS 10.0

Luis Alberto Huallpa Torre's profile image
Luis Alberto Huallpa Torre posted Jan 15, 2021 12:39 PM
Hi is it possible to migrate data from Virtual Appliance RHEL 9.2 to Virtual Appliance CentOS 10.0 using GMU??
there is some utility to migrate the data or even migrate OS files.

Regards.
Andrew Macdonald's profile image
Andrew Macdonald
Hi Luis,

I would recommend using the Rest Management API (RestMan service) for achieving this. It can be easily published from the Gateway and can be a simple way to migrate.
Once published, the documentation can be accessed at https://<gatewayHostname>:<port>/restman/1.0/doc/home.html.
Note: this page is key to turning the exported bundle into an acceptable xml to be imported again (9.1) Restman MigrateIN - ClassCastException | Layer7 API Management (broadcom.com)

Hope that helps but if you still want to use the GMU, I will leave that for someone more experienced in that area.
Kind regards
William Forsyth's profile image
Broadcom Employee William Forsyth
Hi:

Although it seems like more work, my recommendation would be to upgrade to 9.4 first and use ansible scripts that are tested and supported to move data across to the v10 Database.  Typically using GMU or Restman I like to go from identical versions (i.e 9.4 to 9.4) to avoid any DB issues that may be a result of any backward compatibility issues.  My understanding is that there are few schema changes between 9.4 and 10.0 so reduces risk and is also the supported way to do the migration.  Going from 9.2 to 9.4 also may flush out some of the issues that are unrelated to 10.0 version but issues going from 9.2 to 9.4 which I have seen with other customers.  Please check Gateway EoS dates for versions which may factor into the support you need for version 10 migration support.  

Regards, Alex.
Ryan Rank's profile image
Ryan Rank
I've done the Manual Expedited Appliance Upgrade process and it worked beautifully for me. It was pretty straight forward and I don't recall running into any show stopping issues. I also like that you have the perfect backout plan (old version is still there) in case there is a problem you can't quickly recover from. Just direct traffic to the old env and service is restored.

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/layer7-api-management/api-gateway/10-0/install-configure-upgrade/upgrade-the-gateway/upgrade-an-appliance-gateway/manual-expedited-appliance-upgrade.html