Mainframe Software Education

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

New Web-Based Training: z/OSMF –Introduction, Process, and Impact to Existing Customers 200

• 1.  New Web-Based Training: z/OSMF –Introduction, Process, and Impact to Existing Customers 200

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 23, 2021 04:27 PM
    Edited by Amy Flanagan Jun 28, 2022 11:57 AM
    This post has been updated to include a link to the Quick Reference Guide for accessing Learning@Broadcom.

We are happy to announce the availability of new web-based training designed to help you install, maintain, configure, and deploy your Broadcom Mainframe products via  the IBM z/OS Management  Facility (z/OSMF):

z/OSMF –Introduction, Process, and Impact to Existing Customers 200
    Course ID: 06MFO20270

This course contains five videos that were originally delivered as Broadcom SME-hosted webcasts to a Broadcom Communities audience in 2020.  Each webcast is between 30-60 minutes. This course includes the following topics:

• CA Mainframe Software Manager & New Standard For Mainframe Software Management
    • Software Update: Modernizing the Maintenance of z/OS Software
    • Make Your Transition to Software Maintenance in z/OSMF Simple
    • Software Configuration: Automating the Configuration of z/OS Software
    • Software Installation: Simplifying the Acquisition and Deployment of z/OS Software

Not sure how to access this training course on Learning@Broadcom? 
    See our Quick Reference Guide!

------------------------------
    Instructional Designer
    Broadcom
    Lisle, IL

• 2.  RE: New Web-Based Training: z/OSMF –Introduction, Process, and Impact to Existing Customers 200

Posted Oct 19, 2021 09:35 AM
    When I go to the Learning@Broadcom site and search, I cannot find this course.  I have searched using the Course ID,  "z/OSMF", and the entire title as search arguments.  Any suggestions?

• 3.  RE: New Web-Based Training: z/OSMF –Introduction, Process, and Impact to Existing Customers 200

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 19, 2021 11:06 AM
    Hi Sherryl,

Thank you for reaching out. I've asked my colleague to give me an assist with this to ensure I provide you with an accurate answer. 

I'll message you later today with an update.

Regards,

Amy

Instructional Designer
    Broadcom
    Lisle, IL

• 4.  RE: New Web-Based Training: z/OSMF –Introduction, Process, and Impact to Existing Customers 200

Posted Apr 05, 2023 12:59 PM

Hello, any update on this? I cannot find this z/OSMF course on the Learning@Broadcom either. 

• 5.  RE: New Web-Based Training: z/OSMF –Introduction, Process, and Impact to Existing Customers 200

Posted Apr 06, 2023 09:27 AM

Hi I can see the course ok when searching in the Learning@Broadcom when logged into the support portal

• 6.  RE: New Web-Based Training: z/OSMF –Introduction, Process, and Impact to Existing Customers 200

Posted Apr 06, 2023 09:43 AM

Thank you. Searching by course id worked. 

• 7.  RE: New Web-Based Training: z/OSMF –Introduction, Process, and Impact to Existing Customers 200

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 06, 2023 09:50 AM

Good morning Yevgeniya,

I'll respond to you via private message regarding your specific query.  

A general note though, for other followers of this community -- if you are new to Learning@Broadcom, it can take between 24-48 hours (typically less) to complete back-end processing of your new account request. After your account is set up, you'll be able to see the courses you are looking for.

The process for setting up your account is covered in out Quick Reference Guide.

Instructional Designer
    Broadcom
    Lisle, IL

• 8.  RE: New Web-Based Training: z/OSMF –Introduction, Process, and Impact to Existing Customers 200

Posted Jan 23, 2024 03:28 PM

Hi, i'm trying to look for this course via Learning@broadcom via the ID 06MFO20270 but it says "Your search term <06MFO20270> did not match any results"

• 9.  RE: New Web-Based Training: z/OSMF –Introduction, Process, and Impact to Existing Customers 200

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 23, 2024 04:00 PM

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your message.  

In just a moment I'll respond to you via private message regarding your specific query.  

A general note though, for other followers of this community -- if you are new to Learning@Broadcom, it can take between 24-48 hours (typically less) to complete back-end processing of your new account request. After your account is set up, you'll be able to see the courses you are looking for.

Instructional Designer
    Broadcom
    Lisle, IL

• 10.  RE: New Web-Based Training: z/OSMF –Introduction, Process, and Impact to Existing Customers 200

Posted Jan 24, 2024 04:05 PM

This topic of it being difficult to find content keeps coming up with two common themes;

a) How to actually get to the learning portal.  I have been there before, I've consumed content, but I still spend an inordinate amount of time hunting around the dashboard for a cunningly disguised link that looks a bit like an email address.  This really should be elevated to the side bar as a menu item, alongside My Downloads, My Cases, Documentation, etc.  Yes the cheat sheet on getting to Education really does help for the edge cases like not being registered etc.  But stop "hiding it' like your embarrassed that it's a separate portal.

b) Why make announcements that a new course is available before they are actually available in the back end - if it takes 24-48  hours to actually be live/available, then hold off the announcement!  Don't waste our time, attention and motivation by getting us all fired up only to be disappointed.  It's not like the movies where we read the "comming Soon" posters as we wait in line for popcorn!

As to this specific course, yes I was able to find it, but the contents description put me right off;

"This course contains five videos that were originally delivered as Broadcom SME-hosted webinars to a Broadcom Communities audience in 2020.  Each webcast is between 30-60 minutes."

Three plus hours of video that was recorded 4 years ago!  Is it even relevant today?

Screenshots below:

This is a snippet of where I found the link... and hint it's not any of the big obvious buttons!

See if you can spot the link to the Education Portal - Surprise!
    This is where I think it should be, somewhere in the list of sidebar menu items!

Eoin O'Cleirigh
    Lead Systems Engineer @ ANZ +64273888404

• 11.  RE: New Web-Based Training: z/OSMF –Introduction, Process, and Impact to Existing Customers 200

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 24, 2024 05:58 PM
    Edited by Amy Flanagan Jan 24, 2024 06:06 PM
    Hello Eoin,

Thank you for taking the time to share your observations. We really do appreciate it. I'll try to ensure I address all of them below:

Regarding the location of the Education link in the Support Portal, I agree, it would be terrific to have that more prominently displayed. I'll pass your feedback along to the team that oversees the design of the Support Portal.

Regarding  course availability--training is available as soon as it is announced, and customers who already have a profile on support.broadcom.com can access the content immediately.

The potential for delayed access to content applies when a customer has not set up a profile in support.broadcom.com. 

Access to Learning@Broadcom requires the existence of that profile. The process to create that profile is documented here

That z/OSMF course packs in a lot of content, that's for sure. Although we strive to keep most of our training at around 15 minutes, sometimes we miss the mark.  I've contacted the appropriate person to verify that the material is still relevant. They are out of the office this week but I will update this post upon their return.
    Finally, I wanted to share the z/OSMF Learning Path, which documents some of the other content that's available to assist with transitions to z/OSMF. And don't worry, these videos have a MUCH shorter viewing time :D

Thanks again for taking the time to respond to this thread. 

Regards,

Amy

• 12.  RE: New Web-Based Training: z/OSMF –Introduction, Process, and Impact to Existing Customers 200

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 31, 2024 12:16 PM

Hello Eoin,

A quick follow-on to our earlier conversation. I had the opportunity to talk with @Jan.Cihlar regarding the z/OSMF training module that you asked about in your post. He confirmed that the overall content is still current, relevant, and recommended to customers getting started with z/OSMF. However, we do plan to review the material and potentially release it in a different format. Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback.

Regards,

Amy

Instructional Designer
    Broadcom
    Lisle, IL