Groups are similar to communities, with the main difference being that groups are able to have varying levels of access. That means that a group can be set up to limit the number of content non-members can see. These groups can either be open, members-only private or secret, meaning they are either open, viewable but restricted, or hidden altogether from users who are not members. Groups are joined instead of followed.
All places in the CA Communities (including communities, groups, and projects) are located under "Communities" on the top banner of every webpage found on the communities site. The default view under the "Communities" tab is a list of all of the available space. To filter this view out and view only groups, communities, or projects, you can click on your desired type of space from the top bar, as shown below.
Groups are laid out in a similar way to communities, in that the homepage consists of different types of content and activity, and that there are tabs for content, people, and a group calendar. The main difference is that not everyone will be able to see the content located in a group, depending on that group's privacy settings.
- When joining an existing group, you’ll see that there are four different privacy levels to determine who has access to view and contribute to the content of that group.
- Open groups are open to anyone to join. Anyone in the CA Communities can view and participate in content in Open groups without becoming a member. Open groups appear in search results and in the group directory.
- Members Only groups allow anyone to view content within them. You must be invited by the group owner or by another member of the group, or you must click the Join this group button on the group page. Members Only groups also appear in search results and in the group directory.
- Private groups are groups where only members can create, view, or comment on content. You must be invited by the group owner or by another member of the group, or you must click the Ask to join this group button on the group page. The group owner must approve requests to join Private groups before you have access to the content. Private groups appear in search results and in the group directory.
- Secret groups are completely confidential. Only the members of the group know they exist. You must be invited to join a Secret group. Secret groups do not appear when searched or browsed for.
- To join an Open or Members Only group, navigate to the group and click the Join this Group button in the top right corner of the group header.
- To join a Private group, navigate to the group. You will see a description and a button “Request access to this group”. Click that button and the group owner will review your request.
- Invitations to a group will be presented to you in your Inbox as a notification.