The Water Cooler

View Only
  • 1.  "Message is rejected by the moderator"

Posted Mar 23, 2020 08:26 AM
    ​Hi.

Throughout our own journey from Automic to CA to Broadcom, kudos must be given for the involved parties never widely blocking negative feedback off of their respective customer forums, or altering posts. As for the few instances where posts were altered (e.g. to remove personal information or privileged information), readers were usually made aware that an edit by a moderator had happened.

Recently though I see whole threads purged of content and showing as posted by an "this person wishes to remain anonymous" account, and I see threads that are entirely inaccessible. (These are threads by other people, I have yet to find one of my own ;)

Of course Broadcom can exercise it's house rules any way they want, but as contributors, inquiring minds would like to know: Is this a technical issue or a shift in policy; i.e. are threads made inaccessible because of their content?

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: "Message is rejected by the moderator"

Community Manager
    Posted Mar 23, 2020 11:59 PM
    Edited by Jason McClellan Mar 24, 2020 09:57 AM

Carsten,

First, the title of this thread isn't close to the comments inside.  That being said I'll address your comments one by one.

1.  Negative feedback is not removed from the Broadcom Community.  Period.  If there is profanity or personal attacks or something that violates our terms of service, I'll edit it marking Edited by my name and DM.  I follow up by sending that user a DM.

2.  Anonymous-  When migrating users from two communities Jive & Lithium to a new platform while standing up a new platform both business and data decisions need to be made.  The side effect in some cases leaves accounts untethered.  For example, The Brocade Community was 15 years old with user records and data from legacy products and accounts that were inactive that were deemed do not migrate.  In some cases, some of the user data were deemed migrate but the user was deemed do not migrate not leaving a gap ergo the Anonymous handle.  There are many other examples that caused conflicts etc.  This is the reason you are seeing some posts without an owner. Migrations are messy.

3. There has been a slew of recent posts where customers info posted private info (siteid and emails) that I have been hashed out. In other cases,  I've been notified by-product community managers of these infractions and I edited these posts.  Lastly, there was an irritated customer who posted a full footer of company info - again it was not ok, so his personal info was removed but his content was not.

4. Adding one more reason why some posts are rejected.  Some times a new user posts a message twice, three times of more because of the first post moderation and they are not sure it went through so they post the same message over and over.   The moderator will release one and reject the others.

I'm not clear what you are referring to regarding edited posts.

Regards

@Jason McClellan

------------------------------
    Thank you
    Jason
    Broadcom Community Platform Admin, IT

• 3.  RE: "Message is rejected by the moderator"

Posted Mar 24, 2020 05:25 AM
    Hi Jason.

First, the title of this thread isn't close to the comments inside.  That being said I'll address your comments one by one.

What do you mean? The title is exactly the error message for these unavailable threads, as directly shown in the screenshot I put right into the thread! I am a bit puzzled that you appear to be pointing out posting discipline to me with this one while a number of posts by some clients have the most detail-free subject lines and contents, and nothing is ever done about that.

In your three points, unfortunately you steered entirely clear of answering my actual query. I am not asking about the edits. I am asking about the several threads that are not available for viewing at all, with the message as shown in the screenshot (or thread title).

I feel we're misunderstanding here to such an extend, I am seriously wondering if the software even displayed the screenshot to you?

Best regards,
    Carsten

• 4.  RE: "Message is rejected by the moderator"

Community Manager
    Posted Mar 24, 2020 08:31 AM
    Edited by Jason McClellan Mar 24, 2020 09:58 AM

@Carsten Schmitz My answer below on your comment:

I see what you are talking about now.  I was on my mobile last night s d did not see your screenshot just a title referencing rejecting a post.  This could happen either by design, if you are a new member who is posting for the first time or you post contained spam/against our terms of service or was off topic.

1. The first post moderation is a tool to vet new users and block SPAMMERS.  The registration tool & Okta do a pretty good job of screening out before they hit the community but some bad actors do get through so new first time posts need to be reviewed.  I"ll post a screenshot to this post when I get in this morning of shat only new users see when posting for the first time.

2. If your post is rejected by a Moderator, this means it violated our Terms of Service.
    Example:  A new user posts a question then embeds a link soliciting there services.  The post is rejected & I warn them over a DM.  

In closing, the Community is moderated by a very small team across a few large business divisions Brocade, CA  Mainframe and Enterprise Software and Symantec. I am fortunate to be surrounded & supported by other Community Mgrs. with years of experience and a few new ones.  

The point is our Community is busy and we are only human who make mistakes.  When that happens, we do our best to fix the situation. No-one is perfect.

Regards

Thank you
    Jason
    Broadcom Community Platform Admin, IT

• 5.  RE: "Message is rejected by the moderator"

Posted Apr 07, 2020 12:25 PM
    Edited by Carsten Schmitz Apr 07, 2020 12:28 PM
    Hm. It appears that when I reported a reply on a thread as "inappropriate" (I just did that for the first time for a supposed phishing attempt), instead of "thanks for your submission" or anything, I also get to see a brief, about two seconds flashing of "The message has been rejected by the moderator".

Unless that was an awesome coincidence and the thread had been locked down in that exact moment.

Now, when I go to the thread, it's not just that reply which I flagged that is pending review or something, no: the entire thread now leads to this message and is otherwise not viewable anymore, inlcuding the original post by @Michael A. Lowry.

Oh my. Frankly, this software seems ... well, "beyond salvagable​" seems like such a hard thing to say :(

edit, correction: the rest of the post is still visible. The issue here is that all links in the last email on that thread, even the one on top with the thread title, which should really link to the thread as a whole, in fact link to the individual entry which has been flagged, thus making it look as if access to the entire thread is now barred.

These contain very good advise on asking questions and describing supposed bugs (no, you do not need to go to StackExchange for Automic questions, but yes, the parts on asking detailed, useful questions ARE usually relevant):

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

I will not respond to PM asking for help unless there's an actual reason to keep the discussion off of the public forums.

• 6.  RE: "Message is rejected by the moderator"

Posted Apr 07, 2020 12:56 PM
    I think there was some back and forth between you marking the thread and my trying to determine if it was phishing. I have now rejected it as phishing attempt with note to the poster.

Chris Hackett
    Community Manager, Broadcom Enterprise Software Division
    Broadcom Inc.