The Water Cooler

View Only
  • 1.  Higher Logic's rich text editor

Posted Apr 27, 2022 04:28 AM
    The rich text editor in Higher Logic is truly awful by modern standards, and it hasn't noticeably improved since HL was inexplicably chosen to replace Jive for the CA community forums.
    • Problems with text formatting
    • Problems with links
    • Problems with paragraphs
    • No table editor
    Whenever I have to compose a message longer than a paragraph or two, I do so in another rich text editor and then paste it into HL. I just don't have the patience to deal with HL's bugs, quirks, and limitations.

Is anything going to be done about Higher Logic's rich text editor?

• 2.  RE: Higher Logic's rich text editor

Community Manager
    Posted May 02, 2022 10:32 AM
    @Michael A. Lowry -   we have a product suggestions list with the vendor.   The editor which is the same as the old JIVE, Lithium is TinyMCE editor with some features others not enabled.    On Jive and Lithium we could configure and edit the actual editor.  On higher logic SaaS we do not have the same access and need to ask for product enhancements which we did over two years ago.   Some of our suggestions the vendor picked up right away others like the editor they have not.   We meet with the vendor weekly and I will bring it up again.

Lastly, I still have your ticket that we are working through as some of the bug fixes are addressed.   We have the following left:

###############################################

Hi Jason,

I just wanted to send a reply through the case so you have this for your reference. Let me know if the case still doesn't appear in your submitted case queue on HUG.

The remaining editor issues are as follows:

• Pre-formatted text sections get corrupted: This issue still needs to be addressed by our engineers/developers. I'm still able to replicate the issue by going into the HTML source code and placing <b> tags around pre-formatted text. After saving the HTML source code, the pre-formatted section still breaks at the bold text.
    • HTML title tag of Library entries and Ideas: This issue is partially fixed. In order to correct it for library entries, you need to edit the Library Entry Title Widget and set two text parameters. ShowLibraryNameAsPageTitle="false" ShowEntryTitleAsPageTitle="True". This will force the title tab to display the name of the entry instead of the name of the community. The Ideation pages don't have a parameter to make this happen, so we've had to submit this as an enhancement request.
    • Table Editor: We've also had to submit this as an enhancement request.
    • Enabling bulleted list mistakenly changes line formatting: Able to replicate. Inserting bullet drops words after highlighted text to another line. Should put everything on one line instead. It does work correctly if you highlight the whole line and then click on the bullet button. Having Engineering review this again to see if it's a bug or expected functionality at this point.
    • Style applied to wrong range of text: Able to replicate. Highlighting multiple rows and attempting to apply pre-formatted to that text causes strange results. I've sent this back to Engineering as well.

Each issue has been opened as an individual case with our Engineering team so they may be resolved at separate times. As I receive updates on each item, I'll follow up with you through this case. If you have any questions in the meantime, please let me know.
    ############################################
    ​​

------------------------------
    Thank you
    Jason
    Broadcom Community Platform Admin, IT
    ------------------------------