Archive

Expand all | Collapse all

Spectrum to eHealth integration and hostnames

• 1.  Spectrum to eHealth integration and hostnames

Posted 06-08-2012 12:52 PM
    I was wondering if any of you knew how the spectrum -> ehealth discovery works in detail.

1. If I have a device that has been discovered in spectrum, am I guaranteed that the hostname will be discovered as the same in eHealth?

So if I do a discover in eHealth and then let the auto-discovery do it's thing (with default settings) will the hostname be the same? I'm thinking this should be the same if it uses sysName by default (or hostname).

2. If I rename the element in spectrum before enabling the Global Collection based Discovery will it be clever enough to always set the hostname to what spectrum has?

3. If not, is there a way to force ehealth to follow spectrum's naming convention?

We plan to automatically 'deploy' devices into spectrum and ehealth and from my experience with ehealth people complain that eventually spectrum and ehealth become 'out of sync'.

I would like to keep the 'integration' bits between eHealth and spectrum working even if we might not end up using global Collections to do the discovery,

4. I also need to know how the right-click context sensitive 'mapping of elements' works. I don't see this explained in detail anywhere. If we were to add elements into Spectrum and eHealth manually, how would I ensure the mapping would still work?
    From what I see the naming of elements is quite important but not entirely sure how this mapping is done.

We changed the naming priority to put full domain names over hostnames and ever since the element names have now changed some of the right-click mappings don't work.

5. Are any docs available (besides the integration guide pdf) which delve into a bit more low-level detail as to how this works?

Sorry, many questions but I'd like to understand how this works!

Regards,

Frank

• 2.  RE: Spectrum to eHealth integration and hostnames

Posted 06-08-2012 05:28 PM
    One a personal level, Im quite dissapointed at the limited integration being offered between Spectrum and eHealth.

While we use the integration for Drill Drown reports, I find quite strange that CA has never yet fully integrated Global Collections with eHealth Groups.

At most customers our integration procedure is as follows.

1. We implement the out-of-box integration
    2. We then create our a Global Collection that contains all devices, and then we create all other Global Collections
    3. We create a generic Discover Policy in eHealth and associate it with Global collection that contains all devices, we then use this to pass on discoveries to eHealth and keep it sync
    4. Then we have developed a simple Perl Script that extracts all devices/interface etc from Spectrum, determine which groups they are in, and what their eHealth name is.
    5. This script then creates one huge DCI rules file that we associate with eHealth Discovery Policy, the DCI rules files will specify exactly in which eHealth group each element must go and what there names should be.
    6. So whenever a new devices is added in spectrum, a) we just request a discovery, b) wait until the new device is added into eHealth, c) run the Spectrum incremental mapping so new models can be mapped d) call the script so it can update the DCR file e) Rerun the discovery so new devices can be processed by eHealth's DCI rules file.
    7. Our next step is for script to report when a device is no longer part of a collection, and be automatically removed from the eHealth group as well.
    8. This also helps with administration, so operators always do rediscovers using the DCI rules file and do need to worry about manually grouping in eHealth.

We dont really have issues with mapping, but if we do we usually just run a "Initial Mapping" this will clear the mapping table and rebuild it, Im of the understanding that mappings get done by matching the IP's, Ive seen where Spectrum uses the sysName and eHealth uses the DNS name and mapping was still succesfull. And mapping will still work even if you add elements to Spectrum and eHealth manually.

You can force eHealths naming, therefore we use DCI rules files again. But we prefer to leave the element name as is but customize the Alias Name, this helps keeping consistency. I'm trying to speak to some of our internal developers to write our own integration kit for admin, provision, grouping, downtime etc between eHealth and Spectrum but still a long way of from this.

Things I want to see:
    1. Global Collection integration across spectrum and ehealth
    2. Better single sign on and, get rid of EEM, this is a admin nightmare, having to create users in three places.
    3. For drill down reports I dont want Spectrum to open a full browser window, why cant it open a single/simpler windows like OneClick for eHealth?, or they can provice a new custom function type for a URL i.e. OneClick customization.
    4. Downtime/Maintenance integration
    5. Single Discovery.
    6. Be able to put a container into maintenance
    7. Have a extra tab in the component detail for eHealth dashboard view/LiveReporting
    8. I'd also like to see more CLI action commands.
    9. SANM should cater better for delayed notifications, right now you cannot seperate Notification delays for the same alarm, you actually have to run seperate instance of AlarmNotifier.
    10. SpectroServer capable of acting as a Syslog Server.
    11. A simple Linux Remote SNMP Trap Probe with a reliabe TCP connection to SpectroServer, this would be so cool.
    12. Both Spectrum and eHealth WMI capable, including out the box SSH/Telnet pollers for Linux and Solaris.

We can only ask.

Regards,

• 3.  RE: Spectrum to eHealth integration and hostnames

Posted 06-11-2012 04:02 AM
    It sounds like we won't have a problem with how we plan to do it. Here's a basic run-down of how I plan to implement eHealth / spectrum discovery:

eHealth

1. Add Groups and Discovery rules in eHealth.
    2. Discover in eHealth via command line the device(s) and then use a perl script and dci file to create a dci file which we can import (gives more control to what we want in eHealth). Doing it in command Line lets us manipulate it more and also helps with finding stuff which is to be deleted.
    3. Import the Elements we want in eHealth (also rename elements, etc make sure that any error / condition is caught which might cause failure).
    4. Have a script which does cleanup (ie. disables polling, but perhaps keeps data for at least 3 months before deleing in case reports need to be run still).
    5. Confirmation script (something which tests all actions that were processed so we get confirmation everything worked properly).
    6. Schedule appropriate reports (later we want to schedule reports for customers automatically).

Spectrum

1. Add Global Collection and link Spectrum and eHealth (ensure right click capability, etc).
    2. Add device and add watchers for specific information we need for specific device types.
    3. Check which devices are no longer in the CMDB and disable/maintenance/ delete them.

We plan to drive everything from our CMDB, so we want to try aim for 'almost 0%' maintenance. And if people use the CMDB system correctly there should be no problems, but we also want to have some sort of backup in case people make mistakes!

You should add these suggestions of yours to the ideas section. There are some really good ones - although I think it's safe to say CA will be redirecting most of their efforts to Polaris. I think many of these things will be sorted (or at least to some degree) with Polatris.
    Been looking at some of the CA Docs and sadly they go into too much detail regarding the mapping.

Regards,

Frank

• 4.  Re: Spectrum to eHealth integration and hostnames

Posted 08-19-2017 05:56 AM

Dear Team,

How to add element Name in user group via CLI command.

• 5.  Re: Spectrum to eHealth integration and hostnames

Posted 08-21-2017 02:30 AM

Use nhgroup command. Use this on the command prompt to list all the parameters and options. 

For example:

This example adds one element to a group Delhi using standard input:

nhGroup -insertMembers -groups Delhi -elementStdin

element1

Regards

Pothen