Clarity

• 1.  MS Project task change from ASAP to Start no earlier than after save

Posted Jun 25, 2012 02:29 PM
    One of the Project Manager reported that her project task change from "ASAP" to "Start no earlier than" after save back to Clarity and reopening back up again the next day.

1. One master project with five sub-project underneath
    2. Exiting Task with constraint and Flag as "ASAP" with predecessors assigned to the task
    3. Project set as "Fix Work"
    4. Save it back to Clarity
    5. Next day, re-open MS Project from Clarity
    6. Several task have been change from "ASAP" to "Start No Earlier Than"

She only work on the MS Project side, update the project and save it back to Clarity. No one has updated the tasks or the WBS within Clarity.

Anyone has any ideas why the status change from ASAP to start on earlier than on select task?

Thanks for any input regarding this issues!

• 2.  RE: MS Project task change from ASAP to Start no earlier than after save
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 26, 2012 10:17 AM
      |   view attached
    When the project was updated, if they manually changed the start date of the task, a constraint can be placed on the task to "Start No Earlier Than". NOTE: I have not checked this with v13 and MSP 2010.

I've attached the whole MSP presentation I gave to the Canadian user Community in 2010.

From the Presentation:

A common concern for CA Clarity PPM users involves exporting a project with new tasks from CA Clarity PPM to Microsoft Project.

The new tasks may be assigned a constraint automatically. This can happen if the new task start date is a different date from the project start date.

Also, if you change the Start or Finish date in MSP, you’ll end up with a constraint being added by MSP.

“Start No Earlier Than” – is set if you change the start date
    “Finish No Earlier Than” – is set if you change the end date.

Microsoft Project assumes manually entered dats are hard dates and sets the constraint!

To clear the constraints you open the task and change the constraint to “As Soon As Possible

Attachment(s)

ppt
    MSP and Clarity v4.ppt   1.84 MB 1 version

• 3.  RE: MS Project task change from ASAP to Start no earlier than after save

Posted Jun 26, 2012 12:53 PM
    Micheal,

Thanks for sharing.

In slide 27 - MSP Flaw - mentioned that some task dates are showing as 2049.We also got the same exp,any findings on it?.

Have you presented the part 2,if can you pls share.

cheers,
    sundar

• 4.  RE: MS Project task change from ASAP to Start no earlier than after save

Posted Jun 26, 2012 01:42 PM
    I found only a few things after 5 months of digging on the flaw. It was known by Microsoft. Almost nothing exists online about it, and even using my channel as a partner, nobody could explain it. But it does make for a good demo when people complain about Clarity. :)

I have not tested on MSP 2010. Think I might today.

I do have a part 2, but not with me at the office today (it is stored in an archive elsewhere. I'll look for it and post)

• 5.  RE: MS Project task change from ASAP to Start no earlier than after save

Posted Jun 26, 2012 03:36 PM
    I, too, appreciate your response, Michael. We are currently an MSP shop, and I think I've indicated before that we are in the process of evaluate using MSP with Clarity v13 or switching to OWB. Your document is obvioulsy very helpful. If anybody has other such docouments or links to inforamtion concerning MSP with Clarity that they are willing share, it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
    John

• 6.  RE: MS Project task change from ASAP to Start no earlier than after save

Posted Jun 27, 2012 02:24 PM
    One thing to be aware of is that Microsoft fixed a lot of issues with MSP 2010. most notably, you can turn off the automatic reschedule. This is a great improvement. My presentations includes MSP 2007. I have to do some testing and then update it for MSP 2010. But from what i have seen so far, I think MSP 2010 is much better than it predecessors.