Symantec IGA

• 1.  How to call etautil from Policy Xpress and passing parameters.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 28, 2012 03:54 PM

Calling etautil from Policy Xpress could be tricky. You will need to put together a batch file and pay attention to the double quotes and exact format of your call.

In order to call etautil from Policy Xpress and pass parameters you will need to do the following:

Createa a batch file that invokes etautil. Below is an example of a batch file called: etautil_testadd_px.bat that creates a global user.

"C:\Program Files(x86)\CA\Identity Manager\Provisioning Server\bin\etautil" -d <Domain> -u <UserName> -p <Password> Add 'eTGlobalUserContainerName=Global Users, etNamespaceName=CommonObjects' eTGlobalUser GlobaUserName=%1 eTUserID=%2 eTFullName=%3 eTDescription=%4

Test your batch file from the command prompt. In this example we placed the batch file under C:\ and called it as:

c:\etautil_testadd_PX.bat "'Jane Doe7'" 'doeja07' "'Jane Doe7'" "This is my description" (please note the double quotes and single quotes. The double quotes are required by PX).

From Policy Xpress create a policy and execute an external command (which will invoke the command prompt to run an external process) and call your batch file. Use the parameters from PX to pass along the parameters you need to your batch file.

This information is also available as tech doc 583970 on CA's support web site:
    https://support.ca.com/irj/portal/kbtech?docid=583970

Yours,

Sagi Gabay,
    CA Technologies.

• 2.  RE: How to call etautil from Policy Xpress and passing parameters.

Posted Jan 04, 2013 03:09 PM
    Thanks for the tip Sagi! :grin:

• 3.  RE: How to call etautil from Policy Xpress and passing parameters.

Posted Feb 07, 2013 01:24 PM
    Sagi, In your example below is your Application installed on the same server where your Provisioning Server is running?

We are installed on two different servers and are having an issue with calling the etautil from our App server. Do you have any suggestions?

Regards,
    Glenda

• 4.  RE: How to call etautil from Policy Xpress and passing parameters.

Posted Feb 08, 2013 09:14 AM
    Hi,

The context under which it will run will be the machine from where you execute it.

You could use tools like PSexec (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897553.aspx) to execute a remote file and also pass attributes.

Maybe there are alternatives for what you want to achive already implemented in IM and it can save you the pain of calling etautil from a remote machine and using other tools
    (for example: i wasn't able to get the process execute without specifying username and password, which you will have to store also and it is a security issue, but i found an approximate workaround through PX / Accounts actions).

All the best,

Razvan

• 5.  RE: How to call etautil from Policy Xpress and passing parameters.

Posted Feb 08, 2013 10:08 AM
    We have a need to remove the validity date from a SAP R3 account.
    When a user's account has been inactive for a period of time the SAP team sets a validity date so that the account is not included in a license count.
    However, to when a user wants to set a password they cannot due to the validity date. We are trying to run etautil from PX so that they can remove the validity date.

It would be wonderful if this functionality was already available. If so please, tell me how to implement it.

Thanks,
    Glenda

• 6.  RE: How to call etautil from Policy Xpress and passing parameters.

Posted Feb 08, 2013 10:29 AM
    You should have acces to that attribute through PX.

Go to PX, Action Rules and there set an action on Accounts / Set account data by identifier / Clear (or Remove), Endpoint Type = SAP r3 , Account Identified = <you declare this in Data Elements>, Attribute name = Validity Date (or whatever you have there).

I guess this is what you are looking for.

Razvan

• 7.  Re: How to call etautil from Policy Xpress and passing parameters.

Posted Dec 09, 2014 07:32 AM

Hi Sagi,

I am trying to call the batch file placed in the app server using PX.The batch file is placed in C drive and requires one parameter.

I am giving the commannd as C:Batchfile Name in PX and passing the required parameter.

When it tries to execute it , it gives the below error

Failed to execute action 'Call Util'. Error category 'Validation' with response 'Fail Event'.

Please let me know the right way of calling the batch file or Is that possible.