IDMS

• 1.  Archive Journal Extract

Posted Mar 23, 2012 05:34 PM
    Does anyone have code to extract database records in a readable format from an archived journal file? I'm looking for something that can call IDMSDCOM for compressed records and also select based on a range of records and/or a timeframe. If you have such code, would you be willing to share it?

Tia,

Bob Wiklund

• 2.  RE: Archive Journal Extract

Posted Mar 23, 2012 05:35 PM
    I use the journal reports. I used to have my own report based on that, if you are interested I can try to dig up what I have and share the source.
    How readable do you want the output to be?
    I do not have compressed records, but I see no reason why you should not be able to incorporate a call to IDMSDCOM.

It do not believe the journal reports handle fragmented and relocated records, you would have to also handle SR2 SR3 and/or SR4 records.
    We have a DAta Replication System for IDMS, sold by an international software company (I will not mention the product or company by name as that may be a violation of list rules), that can do that if need be, so I never had a need to figure out how to do it.

Tommy Petersen

• 3.  RE: Archive Journal Extract

Posted Mar 23, 2012 05:36 PM
    Tommy,

Don't forget that you need the complete record in the buffer (compressed or variable) in order to make COM/DCOM to work. When you read directly from the journal, compressed records may be spanned and thus dcom won't work.

While I can't give out the source :-( we wrote our own DCOM to work with Journal Analyzer extract records taken from the extract file of a JA record report. (That way we could get someone else to re-assemble the spanned records.

Dick
    Richard Pierce