DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  Installing APM .NET Agent - GAC Error

Posted Aug 23, 2012 02:54 PM
    I am trying ot install the 9.0.8.0 agent on a windows machine running .NET 4.0. I am getting the error below and unsure what the problem may be. The installer is being executed as admin as well as tried running as the service account user for IIS.

Can someone help with determining where the permissions for the mentioned zone are? The registry editor does not allow me to modify the permissions of that key.

Contents of "install_tasks.log"
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Executed command: "C:\Windows\system32\regsvr32.exe" /s /u "E:\wily-dotnet\wily\bin\wily.NativeProfiler.dll"
    Exit code was: 0
    Stdout was:
    Stderr was:
    Executed command: "C:\Windows\system32\regsvr32.exe" /s "E:\wily-dotnet\wily\bin\wily.NativeProfiler.dll"
    Exit code was: 0
    Stdout was:
    Stderr was:
    Executed command: "E:\wily-dotnet\UninstallerData\dotnet\wilyregtool.exe" -u "E:\wily-dotnet\wily\bin\wily.Agent.dll"
    Exit code was: 1
    Stdout was: Error registering assembly or installing to GAC.
    The exception was:
    System.Security.SecurityException: Requested registry access is not allowed.
    at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.OpenSubKey(String name, Boolean writable)
    at System.Runtime.InteropServices.RegistrationServices.UnregisterComImportedType(Type type, String strAsmVersion)
    at System.Runtime.InteropServices.RegistrationServices.UnregisterAssembly(Assembly assembly)
    at System.EnterpriseServices.Internal.Publish.UnRegisterAssembly(String AssemblyPath)
    at PublishAssembly.Program.Main(String[] args)
    The Zone of the assembly that failed was:
    MyComputer

Stderr was:
    Executed command: "E:\wily-dotnet\UninstallerData\dotnet\wilyregtool.exe" "E:\wily-dotnet\wily\bin\wily.Agent.dll"
    Exit code was: 1
    Stdout was: Error registering assembly or installing to GAC.
    The exception was:
    System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the registry key 'HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{F618C514-DFB8-11D1-A2CF-00805FC79235}' is denied.
    at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.Win32Error(Int32 errorCode, String str)
    at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.CreateSubKey(String subkey, RegistryKeyPermissionCheck permissionCheck, RegistrySecurity registrySecurity)
    at System.Runtime.InteropServices.RegistrationServices.RegisterComImportedType(Type type, String strAsmName, String strAsmVersion, String strAsmCodeBase, String strRuntimeVersion)
    at System.Runtime.InteropServices.RegistrationServices.RegisterAssembly(Assembly assembly, AssemblyRegistrationFlags flags)
    at System.EnterpriseServices.Internal.Publish.RegisterAssembly(String AssemblyPath)
    at PublishAssembly.Program.Main(String[] args)

Stderr was:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Installing APM .NET Agent - GAC Error
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 23, 2012 05:36 PM
    I've run into this before - at the end of the install to get the wily.agent.dll into the GAC, follow these instructions - I received this back in June 2012 from CA Support:

You are likely using Windows 2008.

The following workaround (to be applied manually) will resolve the issue:

1.Open a command prompt with ""Run as Administrator"" option
    i. Go to C:\Windows\System32
    ii. Right click on cmd and select ""Run asAdministrator""
    2. Type the following two commands to open two folders in Windows Explorer:
    explorer C:\Windows\assembly explorer <Agent_Home>\wily\bin 3. Drag and drop the wily.agent.dll file from wily\bin to C:\Windows\assembly 4. Restart IIS

--Micheon

Thank you,
    CA Support

• 3.  RE: Installing APM .NET Agent - GAC Error

Posted Aug 24, 2012 05:39 PM
    Thanks Micheon, that seems to add in the "wily.Agent.dll" just fine. How about the "wily.NativeProfiler.dll" file?

I'm also now getting the following in the event log:

--------------------------------
    .NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.5456 - Failed to CoCreate profiler.
    --------------------------------

I appreciate all the help!

• 4.  RE: Installing APM .NET Agent - GAC Error

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 24, 2012 08:50 PM
    Look at TEC533720

• 5.  RE: Installing APM .NET Agent - GAC Error

Posted Oct 17, 2012 04:59 AM
    Hi,

Use the similar command mentioned below to register the NativeProfiler.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe “D:\Program Files\CA APM\Introscope9.1.1.0\wily\x86\wily.NativeProfiler.dll”

Regards
    v.sundar

• 6.  Re: Installing APM .NET Agent - GAC Error

Posted Feb 26, 2015 11:06 AM

Hello hdavis,

When I tried had other error:

error.png

Thanks for your help.

• 7.  Re: Installing APM .NET Agent - GAC Error

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 26, 2015 11:11 AM

Thanks for the screenshot.

Please reply to the new thread i created for you. this thread has already been closed.

• 8.  Re: Installing APM .NET Agent - GAC Error

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 26, 2015 11:14 AM

This error is a known problem with Win2K8. This is a Microsoft problem.

When Win2K8 came out, they changed how DLLs are registered in the GAC. You must now use the commandline tool 'gacutils'. You can read more about it in MSDN.