Clarity

• 1.  Multiselect Parameter Filter

Posted Sep 17, 2010 05:13 PM
    Is it possible to create a filter in a portlet that is multiselect when it uses a parameter from my NSQL ? I cant seem to figure this out. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Ben

• 2.  RE: Multiselect Parameter Filter

Posted Sep 21, 2010 07:26 PM
    Hi All,

Anything here for Ben?

Thanks!
    Chris

• 3.  RE: Multiselect Parameter Filter

Posted Sep 22, 2010 06:38 AM
      |   view attached
    Yes, we can have multiselect filter on portlet.
    GoTo Filter section of Portlet
    Select the required field and make it Multiselect.(shwon in attachement)

But if it is pull down then all the values appear on filter view.

Sachin

Attachment(s)

doc
    Filter Parameter.doc   52 KB 1 version

• 4.  RE: Multiselect Parameter Filter

Posted Sep 22, 2010 11:17 AM
    Just to clarify Sachin's post....

You can do this (multi-select in the filter) easily for "normal" fields - i.e. attributes you also RETURN in the query.

But you CAN'T do this for the custom/non-returned parameter fields (the ones that appear as "param_" attributes).

(simple workaround might be to provide a couple of "param_" attributes and write the OR clause yourself in the NSQL - not very elegant and is functionally restricted, but it will work)

--

And a little word of warning arounf mulit-select filters though (and this might be a little deep and might not be an issue for you!) - Whilst you can usually "Preview" the SQL in the NSQL editor window (so you can get an idea of what is really going on), this WILL NOT tell you how the SQL is generated for a multi-select filter parameter (since you only define the "multi-valued"ness of the field in the portlet definition not the query defintion)*. In practice the SQL gets produced with a big "OR clause" with hard-coded values (coded to the ones the user selects at run-time). On Oracle systems this is actually a very INEFFICIENT technique since a new query is produced ever time it is run (with different parameters) - and so the (usually very efficient) Oracle query-execution-path-caching stuff that goes on can not be used. Furthermore, a long list of OR fields might (and I stress "might") cause your generated SQL itself to be pretty inefficient (of course there are many factors that "might" cause the SQL to inefficient, its just that in this case its a bit less obvious since you are not so much in control of the generated SQL)

*The only way you can see EXACTLY what is going on at SQL level is to look at the SQL as it executes on the database

(phew!)

B)

• 5.  RE: Multiselect Parameter Filter

Posted Sep 29, 2010 09:19 AM
    Hi guys,
    Thanks for the input. Yes I'm talking about Custom Paramaters ("Param_") that I created. I wanted to use these in some case logic. I guess I will have to find another way. It is a shame that custom paramaters cant be multi value. I'm tempted to ask for an enhancement request. What do you guys think ?
    Thanks,
    Ben

• 6.  RE: Multiselect Parameter Filter

Posted Sep 22, 2010 09:40 AM
    Is this a custom parameter? Sounds like one solution might involve a combination of attaching the object parameter to a multi-valued lookup and also in how the NSQL is structured. Can you be more specific in naming which attribute and the properties?