AppWorx, Dollar Universe and Sysload Community

• 1.  Steps to Purge/Clear older data before 365 days from Automic database

Posted Mar 06, 2019 07:35 AM

Hi Team,

Can anyone please share the steps to purge historical data before 365 days from Automic/UC4 (v9 and 10) database as the size of the database is increasing rapidly.

Many thanks,

Pothi

• 2.  Re: Steps to Purge/Clear older data before 365 days from Automic database

Posted Mar 07, 2019 10:32 AM

I assume you have access to the utilities. This topic should help you out: DB Maintenance with Automic utilities 

• 3.  Re: Steps to Purge/Clear older data before 365 days from Automic database

Posted Mar 08, 2019 04:17 AM

Dear m.uracz,

Thanks for replying back and sharing the link

I already gone through this link and setup maintenance jobs in UC4. Tried run it, everything ran smoothly. But could not find any decrease in size of the database or oracle datafile. Still the size remains same. Today morning again ran shrink on tablespace gained 1GB free space.

My UC4 database size is around 77GB

Not sure if anything I missed out to clear properly.

Thanks,

Pothi

• 4.  Re: Steps to Purge/Clear older data before 365 days from Automic database

Posted Mar 08, 2019 06:40 AM

Well, I am no DBA, but from my experience 77 GB for a system that has a years worth of reports and statistics is not that much. 

Have you checked the reports of the utilities ? There you can find what exactly is being reorganised, and how many entries are removed. That would give you an estimation how much data you get rid of with every  reorg. 

Cheers,

Marcin

• 5.  Re: Steps to Purge/Clear older data before 365 days from Automic database

Posted Mar 11, 2019 07:38 AM

Hi Marcin,

Thanks for the useful steps. Let me give it a try.

Regards,

Pothiraj

• 6.  Re: Steps to Purge/Clear older data before 365 days from Automic database

Posted Mar 10, 2019 05:11 PM

In Oracle, deleting data does not automatically reclaim disk space. The database will retain its storage until you do something administrative to the tablespace. The expectation of this behavior is that if you needed the storage at one time, you will likely need it again and it would therefore be more efficient to simply keep the allocation.

To reclaim the space, you have a few choices. The following article from Oracle-DBAs has a pretty comprehensive look at this situation: https://oracle-base.com/articles/misc/reclaiming-unused-space

Source: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9432465/reclaim-the-space-after-a-large-delete-in-oracle/9432696#9432696

• 7.  Re: Steps to Purge/Clear older data before 365 days from Automic database

Posted Mar 11, 2019 07:36 AM

Hello Tim,

Thanks for sharing the link.

I will try some work around on these options mentioned in the link.

Thanks,

Pothiraj