CA Service Management

• 1.  Update contacts from database table/view/file

Posted Jan 17, 2019 06:11 AM

Hello,

I've a question regarding updating the contacts table.

After connecting to SDM to AD and importing users, I would like to update the table from a table/view stored in the mdb or file located on file system.

Is this possible, to trigger and schedule custom syncronization of a table like in my case contacts records?

Thanks in advance,

Domagoj

• 2.  Re: Update contacts from database table/view/file

Posted Jan 26, 2019 04:54 PM

HI  dhrzic,

Isn't recommended updates directly on database instead of that ypu could you webservice, you can look for on 

Summary CA SDM webservice 

Regards

Tiago Macul

• 3.  Re: Update contacts from database table/view/file

Posted Jan 28, 2019 12:12 PM

I would recommend developing a Process Automation Manager (PAM) process for doing that.

• 4.  Re: Update contacts from database table/view/file

Posted Jan 31, 2019 01:40 AM

Hi Domagoj,

Both Tiago and Lindsay have a good suggestions.

If you're pulling data from Active Directory, then can you use the ldap import, update ldap.mod for the extra fields and update additional values that way? This means that there is no double-handling.

Create Contacts in Batch Mode Using LDAP Data - CA Service Management - 17.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

I have seen clients use pdm_load to update the Contact tables. So a batch job runs periodically to update the data. But then you need to run pdm_cach_refresh against that table also. Plus it is not ideal from a performance viewpoint.

It might be better to follow either of the other processes, as you get a bit more front end control over what happens, plus the better logging (particular PAM) which can be useful when invariably (It's just a question of "when" and not "if") the data load is not as expected.

Thanks, Kyle_R.

• 5.  Re: Update contacts from database table/view/file

Posted Jan 31, 2019 09:02 AM

I would go against Lindsay_Estabrooks suggestion and suggest to not use PAM for this kind of task.

I personnaly found that PAM is more suited for integration and business logic than bulk import.

For this kind of bulk import, I always go with powershell. Easy to learn and fast to code.