ESP Workload Automation

• 1.  is there a way to hold an agent_monitor?

Posted Dec 31, 2018 11:12 AM

Hello Forum,

we have an ESP v11.4 appl consisting of about 60 AGENT_MONITOR types to alert us when a cybAgent is not communicating.   On weekends our unix team does patching and a select number of boxes (and thus agents) are down for a few hours...different boxes on different weekends.

Is there a way put a HOLD on an AGENT_MONITOR ahead of time for those patching hours so we don't page out?

The only way I'm aware of  to throttle an agent_monitor is to post it complete in the non-stop running appl but then we'd have to complete and restart the entire appl in order to get those individual agent_monitors listening again.

here is an example of one of the 60

AGENT_MONITOR NT_YADA
    STATINTV 5
    MSGQLEN 10
    AGENT NT_YADA
    AMNOTIFY ALERT(AGNT)
    RUN ANY
    ENDJOB

• 2.  Re: is there a way to hold an agent_monitor?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 31, 2018 05:00 PM

Hi Mike,

You can issue "ESP OPER ESPCOM DEST(NT_YADA) QUIESCE" in the alert related event. It will stop sending messages to the agent.

After the agent is restarted, issue OPER ESPCOM DEST(NT_YADA) RESTART from ESP page mode to resume.

Hope this helps.

Happy New Year!

Lucy

• 3.  Re: is there a way to hold an agent_monitor?

Posted Dec 31, 2018 06:06 PM
      |   view attached

Hey Lucy,  Happy New Year.   So no way to put an AGENT_MONITOR type on hold or anything?

I’m splitting hairs here because, I’d have much less of a compunction to put one, lone agent_monitor job on hold, where I could simply release it, say the next morning, as opposed to quiescing all traffic to an agent that I’d have to possibly hang around till the wee hours to restart it. (naturally, if we didn’t quiesce the queued up jobs would take off on their own without intervention…not so if I issue the quiesce; Then you know who would likely have to hang around to issue the restart command.)

I’m guessing agent_monitor types don’t adhere to some of the csf commands like normal jobs, but had to ask anyway.

thanks,

• 4.  Re: is there a way to hold an agent_monitor?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 02, 2019 08:25 AM

Hi Mike,

Unfortunately the HOLD command won't work for agent_mon, which will run every 5 minutes (as specified on STATINTV) automatically after it runs.

I would think it's a better idea to quiesce the agent, otherwise the queued up jobs may fill up the COMMQ file.

If you just don't want to be paged, then maybe you can suspend the related event.

Hope this helps,

Lucy

• 5.  Re: is there a way to hold an agent_monitor?

Posted Jan 03, 2019 10:16 AM
      |   view attached

thanks Lucy

• 6.  Re: is there a way to hold an agent_monitor?
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 03, 2019 10:35 AM

Hi Mke, 

I agree with Lucy that holding all work going to the agent is a better solution. As she mentioned it is possible the COMMQ could get filled up if there were significant amount of work going to this agent. 

Just a different thought on the HOLD/RELEASE

It would be possible to force complete the agent monitor and then restart the agent monitor when the outage is complete.  

Don

• 7.  Re: is there a way to hold an agent_monitor?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 12, 2019 08:07 AM

Hi Mike.

Do you have any more concerns on this question?

Thank you for your feedback,

Lucy

• 8.  Re: is there a way to hold an agent_monitor?

Posted Mar 25, 2019 02:56 PM

Another option is to modify the ALERT(AGNT) routine to not notify (maybe not page but send an email) during the known maintenance window.