Automic Workload Automation

• 1.  Ressourcemanagement in Automic

Posted Nov 16, 2018 09:49 AM

Hello community,

we have 7 different servers and would like to balance the workload between these servers.

Do you have any advices how to manage the following example?

One workflow WORKFLOW A consists of a lot JOBS. These JOBS run on 2 of these servers. This workflow starts Thursday at night and takes at least 30 hours.

Another workflow WORKFLOW B starts one day later and its JOBS should balance its workload between all of the 7 servers.

In this case our approach is to use a HOSTG-object with all the 7 servers and divide the JOBS between these servers.

Now our problem:

The 2 servers, that are used by the JOBS of WORKFLOW A should not be used by the JOBS of WORKFLOW B until WORKFLOW A is finished.

WORKFLOW B gets more and more JOBS while it is running with the UC-Scrpit "MODIFY_TASK...ADD_TASK". These step should run on the 7 servers in the end but only on the 5 left servers until WORKFLOW A is running.

I hope someone could understand my use problem and has some advices for me.

Feel free to ask further questions.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Nils

• 2.  Re: Ressourcemanagement in Automic

Posted Nov 16, 2018 02:09 PM

I've never had to work on this type of problem before, but I know others here have.  The product does not offer any automatic workload balancing features. 

If I had to write a workload balancing solution myself, I might try to build a PowerShell utility to collect current usage data from a list of candidate servers to determine which one is currently under the least stress, populate a UC4 variable with that server name, and use that variable to set the HOST value for the next UC4 job.

• 3.  Re: Ressourcemanagement in Automic

Posted Nov 19, 2018 07:49 AM

Hi

what about the following (almost simple) attempt:

For Workflow A create a HOSTG containing agents on your both servers

For workflow B create a HOSTG containing agents on your seven servers with mode LOAD dependent

As long as the workload on the 2 Servers of Workflow A is higher than the average workload it works...

This does not meet your requirements to 100% but mostly :-)

Any other workload balancing logic must be scripted, as mentione by Pete.

cheers, Wolfgang