Automic Workload Automation

• 1.  Where does the extra AWI space go?

Posted Nov 08, 2018 04:00 AM

G'day!

The documentation says that an AWI server should have 20GB of extra hard disk space. It just doesn't seem to say anywhere where, i.e. where should it be mounted?

I'm currently building the V12 prod server, so I'd need to know. I thought I can go look at my AWI test server after it's running for a year, and see where it uses loads of storage, but it doesn't really do so, it uses a few dozen megabyte here and there at best.

I quizzed (no pun intended) someone from Automic, and he didn't have an immediate answer at hand either. So, for 64.000 Dollar and Regis Philbin permitting, I am pulling the audience lifeline.

Would you say it's:

a) /var or /var/cache        b) /usr or some /usr/tomcat-like-thing

c) something else           d) the moon

• 2.  Re: Where does the extra AWI space go?

Posted Nov 12, 2018 05:29 AM

Hi

absolutely clear:

e) /proc/swap

:-)

cheers, Wolfgang

• 3.  Re: Where does the extra AWI space go?

Posted Nov 12, 2018 07:08 AM

I was personally ready to go for /dev/null at this point.

But I like your idea of configuring hard drive swap (itself a substitute for memory swap) inside a virtual file system that actually lives in memory, i.e. taking memory away from the system to use the same memory again, just through the added overhead of the mass storage driver.

This approach represents the ultimate in decadence and luxury, giving a finger to ideas of conservationism and global warming, and sending a clear message of "my servers are expensive enough to even pull THIS off".