Service Virtualization

• 1.  Capture transactions from test/production environment for VS creation

Posted Feb 12, 2019 12:11 PM

Hi- I am looking some of the option to capture the transactions (RR Pairs) in production/or any lower test environment without configuring the virtual services. If I can capture this data, I can create services later without help of anyone asking for RR pairs or recording. Its like some process is listening theses transaction in any test environment/production silently without disturbing any of the live code and later this can give us enough information like RR pairs, service details so that we can create virtual service.

Need inputs please.

Regards,

Ritu

• 2.  Re: Capture transactions from test/production environment for VS creation
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 12, 2019 01:46 PM

I do not believe there is a completely unintrusive way of solving for the issue.

If the applications are executing in Java processes, have a look at: DevTest Java Agent - DevTest Solutions - 10.4 - CA Technologies Documentation   <-- This requires installation and configuration of a Java Agent on the App Server. And, I would not recommend use of the agent on a production application due to the potential for added overhead and/or exposure of personal identifiable information.

If the applications use an API gateway, one might use a facility within the API gateway to extract the pairs. Some rule has to be configured to export the information.

If the applications produce output log files containing requests and responses, one might create a mechanism for constructing R/R pairs from that output. However, encrypted output may not be of much value, the logs may not contain important header information, or the logs do not contain an 'on-the-wire' representation of the actual payload. 

If the interfaces are HTTP-based, one might build services from PCAP file captures.

Many security conscious organizations would consider the ability to invisibly and unintrusively capture communications on the wire akin to a hackers dream tool. 

• 3.  Re: Capture transactions from test/production environment for VS creation

Posted Feb 12, 2019 02:05 PM

Thanks Joel. By looking the suggested possibilities, Java Agent seems to be a right solution for my ask.

I will check more on documentation and see what can be the best fit here.

Thanks much!

Regards,

Ritu