Automic Workload Automation

Expand all | Collapse all

Not all blocks (Limit '120') of file '...' have been transferred

• 1.  Not all blocks (Limit '120') of file '...' have been transferred

Posted 03-14-2019 12:06 PM

Hello,

Today one of my colleagues suprised me with an unusual error. He had a script that does a simple PREP_PROCESS_FILE on a "big" xml file (> 1MB)

:SET &HND# = PREP_PROCESS_FILE(<agent>,"<xml file>")

When he ran that script, he received following error message (my original error is in german but I tried to guess how Automic would have translated it). So here we go ...

U00029007 Not all blocks (Limit '120') of file '...' have been transfered.

This reminded me of the error message you get, when a report is to big to be stored in the database. See this post by Iris Muttenthaler click. So I changed the the value of MAX_REPORT_SIZE for the specific agent to 480 and (suprisingly) it worked.

Maybe I'm just not getting it, but does anybody know why MAX_REPORT_SIZE affect PREP_PROCESS_FILE??? And can someone (maybe someone from Automic) explain if that is how it's supposed to work?

EDIT : Added that the xml has to be 1 MB or bigger with MAX_REPORT_SIZE = 120.

• 2.  Re: Not all blocks (Limit '120') of file '...' have been transferred

Posted 03-14-2019 12:30 PM

Hi Matthias, 

It's likely that it is affecting the report, and not PREP_PROCESS_FILE directly. The information generated/written to the log by PREP_PROCESS_FILE is, I would entertain, too large to transfer to the job report in its entirety without the modification you put in place. This would affect the Activation Report, especially if you are printing the results to the report as our documentation provides:

https://docs.automic.com/documentation/webhelp/english/AWA/12.2/DOCU/12.2/AWA%20Guides/help.htm#Script/Reference/PREP_PROCESS_FILE.htm?

:SET &HND#=PREP_PROCESS_FILE(WIN21,"\\FServer\UC4\BSP\INPUT.TXT","*Start*")
    :
    PROCESS &HND#
    :   
    SET &LINE#=GET_PROCESS_LINE(&HND#)
    :   
    PRINT &LINE#
    :
    ENDPROCESS

This could easily generate a report that is too large to handle with the default settings, depending on the contents of the file. Is there a lot of data in the Last Report -> Activation (ACT) tab after executing this job? 

• 3.  Re: Not all blocks (Limit '120') of file '...' have been transferred

Posted 03-14-2019 01:57 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the answer. That was my first thought, too. But that is not the case. The test job I created only has this one line

:SET &HND# = PREP_PROCESS_FILE(<agent>,"<xml file>")

and the report it generates is empty. Or, to be more precise, it sais "No report available".

• 4.  Re: Not all blocks (Limit '120') of file '...' have been transferred

Posted 03-14-2019 03:51 PM

Interesting. I wasn't able to reproduce the same issue (albeit with simple tests) on the latest version, so I would suggest opening a ticket with Support to investigate. When opening the ticket, it will likely be helpful to provide an export of the Script object in use as well as the xml file (if possible) for the sake of thorough testing. 

• 5.  Re: Not all blocks (Limit '120') of file '...' have been transferred

Posted 03-15-2019 03:29 AM

Sorry, just saw that I totaly forgot to mention that the file has to be 1 Mb or bigger. Will add that to my original post.

• 6.  Re: Not all blocks (Limit '120') of file '...' have been transferred

Posted 04-12-2019 09:47 AM

Hi,

for everyone who may be interested. I opened a ticket for this case and it turns out MAX_REPORT_SIZE does not only affect reports.

So after discussing this with colleagues the Parameter MAX_REPORT_SIZE is used globally throughout the Automation Engine. This means that this affects the PRE_PROCESS_FILE aswell since this retrieves the content of text / xml files

I asked to change the documentation, cause this is not mentioned anywhere. In case they don't or it takes long at least it's documented here in the community.

Matthias

• 7.  Re: Not all blocks (Limit '120') of file '...' have been transferred

Posted 04-12-2019 12:46 PM

It still bothers me that there is any type of upper limit to PREP_PROCESS_FILE().   On the other hand though, this is supposed to be a job scheduler script language, not an application language.  I'm often having to push back on requests to write application solutions in UC4 that really should be written as a batch job.

• 8.  Re: Not all blocks (Limit '120') of file '...' have been transferred

Posted 04-23-2019 07:32 AM

Yeah, I totally agree with that. Also it might have been a better idea to integrate a full featured, well developed language like e.g. python.