DX NetOps

• 1.  Alarm Console Performance

Posted Apr 17, 2019 12:20 PM

Is anyone else seeing a huge difference in loading up the Alarms view based on the group context selected?  If I set the breadcrumb to a group defined in PC (which has a rule set to include all devices that are members of a specific Spectrum Global Collection), the view sits and spins for a couple minutes before rendering.  When it does finally render, it may or may not show all of the alarms for the devices in that group.  If I set the breadcrumb to Inventory > Data Source > Spectrum > All Spectrum Global Collections> random GC, then the view pops up immediately and is mostly accurate.  It doesn't seem to display interface alarms for devices in that GC even though the GC special search criteria is set to None, but I can mostly live with that.  The drastic difference in performance between those two methods, and the better performance being the more cumbersome method, is a concern though.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

• 2.  Re: Alarm Console Performance

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 17, 2019 05:52 PM

Hi Josh,

That does sound strange.

You mentioned the following reproduces the issue.

"If I set the breadcrumb to a group defined in PC (which has a rule set to include all devices that are members of a specific Spectrum Global Collection)..."

You mentioned that it also works well when set to a random GC.

"If I set the breadcrumb to Inventory > Data Source > Spectrum > All Spectrum Global Collections> random GC..."

If you reproduce using the same specific Spectrum GC the PC Group membership is based on does it work well?

Does the PC Group membership match the membership seen in Inventory > Data Source > Spectrum > All Spectrum Global Collections> GC_Groups_members_based_on?

Thanks,

Mike

• 3.  Re: Alarm Console Performance

Posted Apr 18, 2019 11:15 AM

Yep.  If I point it at a PC group that is set to include all devices in GC X, it's much slower than pointing it directly at GC X.  Item counts are identical in the group and the GC.  My guess right now is when the alarms console is pointed at a PC group, it does REST calls for every individual device.  When it's pointed at a GC it does a single one.  I haven't pulled the packets to confirm this, but it seems logical to me.

• 4.  Re: Alarm Console Performance
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 18, 2019 12:51 PM

Basically, yes. Spectrum does not sync PC groups (One day, i hope they will), so we have no option but to pass model handles in the filter. if we see Spectrum GC's, we just send the GC, which is much faster.
    They should not make exact duplicates of spectrum GC's in PC (I.e.a group with a rule that says "Include all devices in group "... SpectrumDatasource ... Global Collections/Spectrum GC"
    They should make a parent group, and simply add a group reference to the Spectrum GC (or global collections) underneath it. for built-in PC groups, we don't have an option.

• 5.  Re: Alarm Console Performance

Posted Apr 18, 2019 02:07 PM

That is fantastic advice and makes perfect sense.  Thank you!