Service Virtualization

• 1.  Stack Overflow error while saving a vsm / testcase

Posted Apr 23, 2019 07:46 AM

Hi,

I have a requirement like  Create a new XML request using some of the XML elements of incoming virtual service XML request and send this request to multiple downstream systems.

I have used 25 xml xpath filters to save these elements and constructed a new request message using parse text as response step.

Incoming VS XML request:  > 2500 lines of XML

constructed XML - 170 lines of XML - (Many of the elements are parameterized using xpath filters - dynamic values)

constructed XML after the filter property values are substituted : 3000 lines of XML

I'm unable to save this file , the workstation is getting hanged when try to save. I have checked the workstation.log and observed stackover flow error.

2019-04-23 11:26:08,190Z (16:56) [AWT-EventQueue-0] ERROR System.err - Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.StackOverflowError
    2019-04-23 11:26:08,194Z (16:56) [AWT-EventQueue-0] ERROR System.err - at com.itko.lisa.test.ParseInState.parseInState(ParseInState.java:276)
    2019-04-23 11:26:08,194Z (16:56) [AWT-EventQueue-0] ERROR System.err - at com.itko.lisa.test.TestExec.parseInState(TestExec.java:1952)
    2019-04-23 11:26:08,194Z (16:56) [AWT-EventQueue-0] ERROR System.err - at com.itko.lisa.test.TestExec.parseInState(TestExec.java:1934)
    2019-04-23 11:26:08,195Z (16:56) [AWT-EventQueue-0] ERROR System.err - at com.itko.lisa.test.TestExec.parseInState(TestExec.java:1930)

I have also tried to increase the stack memory to 4MB but still facing the issue.

Below are the contents of my workstation.vmoptions

# Enter one VM parameter per line
    # For example, to adjust the maximum memory usage to 512 MB, uncomment the following line:
    -Xms2048M
    -Xmx4096m
    -Xss4m
    # To include another file, uncomment the following line:
    # -include-options [path to other .vmoption file]

Thanks,

Venkatesh

• 2.  Re: Stack Overflow error while saving a vsm / testcase

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 23, 2019 10:13 AM

Hi Venkatesh

Could you please share the file : <lisatmp_10.4.0>\enterprisedashboard.log

regards

Sankar

• 3.  Re: Stack Overflow error while saving a vsm / testcase

Posted Apr 23, 2019 12:07 PM

Hi Sankar,

In our project we were provided access only to portal and workstation. All the other Devtest components are maintained by separate Tools Team. I can request them but this would take some time. May i know why we need Enterprise dashboard log for this ?

We are using Devtest Workstation 10.0, where as the other components are 10.3 to my knowledge.

Thanks,

Venkatesh

• 4.  Re: Stack Overflow error while saving a vsm / testcase

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 23, 2019 12:31 PM

You cannot use a DevTest 10.0.0 Workstation connecting to a Registry that is 10.3.0.  

Registry, Portal, Broker, Coordinator, Simulator and VSE must all be at the same version.

Please use a DevTest 10.3.0 Workstation and let us know if you still get the error.

Regards,

Marcy

• 5.  Re: Stack Overflow error while saving a vsm / testcase

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 24, 2019 12:48 AM

My bad, please share workstation.log file. Btw, what Marcy says make absolute sense. Please read more on mixing component versions: https://docops.ca.com/devtest-solutions/10-4/en/installing/preparing-your-devtest-upgrade/additional-upgrade-details#AdditionalUpgradeDetails-MixingComponentVersions

-Sankar

• 6.  Re: Stack Overflow error while saving a vsm / testcase

Posted Apr 24, 2019 05:32 AM

You can comment out -Xss setting, restart workstation and retry.

• 7.  Re: Stack Overflow error while saving a vsm / testcase

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 24, 2019 08:06 AM

Thats a good catch. Is this -xss a valid JVM arg ? I couldn't find this entry in ORacle Java doc: https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E22289_01/html/821-1274/configuring-the-default-jvm-and-java-arguments.html

• 8.  Re: Stack Overflow error while saving a vsm / testcase
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 25, 2019 02:24 AM

Hi All,

I have used -Xss to increase the thread stack size.

The issue is resolved now, Issue is because of having one property name substituted as {{{{test_filter}}}} instead of {{test_filter}} in parse text as response step by mistake.

It might be going to infinite loop in validate this xml and getting stack overflow error.

Thanks,

Venkatesh