CA Service Management

Expand all | Collapse all

What is the event-rule-action in Service Catalog which aborts any PAM process when a SC request is cancelled?

• 1.  What is the event-rule-action in Service Catalog which aborts any PAM process when a SC request is cancelled?

Posted May 17, 2019 03:07 PM

Hello - 

I'm building a PAM process (triggered by a Service Catalog request) to automate a PowerShell script on a server.  

If the script fails, I use a SOAP operator to add a note to the Service Catalog Request, then another SOAP operator to change the status of the request to "cancelled".  

By default, whenever a Service Catalog request is cancelled, any associated PAM process is immediately aborted.  Because of this, my PAM process ends up getting aborted before it completes.  I believe this default behavior is controlled by an out-of-the-box event-rule-action.  I want to edit the rule so that it excludes this particular service.  These docs say that the name of the rule is When Status Is Cancelled.  However, I cannot find any such rule.  Has the name of it changed?  Does anyone know what rule is controlling this behavior?  Thank you very much!

• 2.  Re: What is the event-rule-action in Service Catalog which aborts any PAM process when a SC request is cancelled?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 20, 2019 02:17 AM

Hi Michael.

Since I do not se any reference to the running release, I assume it is for 17.1.
    For 'Cancelled' the status-code is 4.

In the mdb database I recognize the following:
    FROM [dbo].[usm_rule_condition] where condition like '%status = 4%'
    REQUEST_CANCEL_WARNING status = 4 AND status_old <> status usm_system_change_detail REQUEST_CANCEL_WARNING

FROM [mdb].[dbo].[usm_rule] where rule_id = 'REQUEST_CANCEL_WARNING'
    rule_id status display_name description is_hidden is_system event_type_id type sub_type start_time expire_time
    When Status is Canceled for a Request
    Rule with filter that fires once for each request item when Status goes to Canceled

Then searching in SC/admin/Events-Rules-Actions for ' When Status is Canceled for a Request', I found:
    Home > Administration > Events-Rules-Actions > Request Change
    Rule list: When Status is Canceled for a Request

I hope this will get you further on this?
    Thanks and kind regards, Louis.

• 3.  Re: What is the event-rule-action in Service Catalog which aborts any PAM process when a SC request is cancelled?

Posted May 21, 2019 09:47 AM

Thank you for your help!

• 4.  Re: What is the event-rule-action in Service Catalog which aborts any PAM process when a SC request is cancelled?
    Best Answer

Posted May 20, 2019 05:56 PM

This is a logical catch-22 situation. If a Request is cancelled then you want the PAM process instances associated with the Request to be aborted. However, you don't want a PAM process instance to be aborted if that process instance was the thing that cancelled the Request.

How I have approached this was to create a Process definition that I can call with the Start Process operator in detached mode. The new Process definition would start with a Delay operator (say 5 seconds) and then the necessary SOAP call operators to update the Request (based on data passed by the calling process). Since the sub-process is called in Detached mode then the parent process would continue to its normal end.

• 5.  Re: What is the event-rule-action in Service Catalog which aborts any PAM process when a SC request is cancelled?

Posted May 21, 2019 09:47 AM

ah that makes sense.  Thank you!