Clarity

Expand all | Collapse all

Unable to update/reflect changes of Default Value (Large String, Read Only) to End-User

• 1.  Unable to update/reflect changes of Default Value (Large String, Read Only) to End-User

Posted Feb 19, 2019 12:55 PM

Hello - 

I've created three Large String custom attributes (Project), each with a default value and read-only assigned.  When making changes to the default value of each and saving, the changes do not reflect to the end-user in New UX.

For example, I have "Attribute A" (large string, project obj), and set the default value to "123" (save and return).   I then update the default value to "abc" and save/return.  Next, when viewing Attribute A in the New UX, the original default value is shown instead of the updated one ("123").

Does anyone know how to update the default value of a large string, read only attribute to reflect changes on future/new projects?

Thanks,

Matt

• 2.  Re: Unable to update/reflect changes of Default Value (Large String) to End-USer

Posted Feb 19, 2019 10:43 PM

Are you looking at Projects that existed prior to your changes?  If so, it will only be NEW projects that have the lasted default value.

• 3.  Re: Unable to update/reflect changes of Default Value (Large String) to End-USer

Posted Feb 20, 2019 09:13 AM

Thanks for the response, Roland.   What I described is true for existing and new projects, so I'm hoping to find a resolution that applies to new projects, as I understand changes won't be reflected on ones already created.

To clarify, "ABC" is the original default value.  I update to "XYZ," click save.  Create a new project, and "ABC" is still reflected.  ---   I'm looking to have the new "XYZ" value reflected.

Thanks,

Matt

• 4.  Re: Unable to update/reflect changes of Default Value (Large String) to End-USer

Posted Feb 20, 2019 10:32 AM

Maybe a cached setting ; restart services perhaps?

• 5.  Re: Unable to update/reflect changes of Default Value (Large String) to End-USer

Posted Feb 20, 2019 10:46 AM

That's what I'm thinking, David, but am unsure where to locate this setting (or even what I'm looking for).   Are you able to provide some clarification or direction?

Thanks for your help.

Matt

• 6.  Re: Unable to update/reflect changes of Default Value (Large String) to End-USer

Posted Feb 20, 2019 11:48 AM

I don't know about caches for the new UI - the legacy UI there is a 'action:security.caches' page you can go to. I was rather thinking just stopping and restarting the services though (as that would 'refresh' any cache) might do it.

(interesting point though ; is the new default value respected by the legacy UI? Would seem like a BUG if it is and the new UI does not respect it)

• 7.  Re: Unable to update/reflect changes of Default Value (Large String) to End-USer

Posted Feb 21, 2019 10:16 AM

Because we have the SaaS product, am I able to restart services?  (sorry, new Clarity Admin)

Appreciate your help.

Matt

• 8.  Re: Unable to update/reflect changes of Default Value (Large String, Read Only) to End-User

Posted Feb 21, 2019 10:37 AM

Would think you'd need to raise a ticket with the SAAS people to do that I'm afraid.

• 9.  Re: Unable to update/reflect changes of Default Value (Large String, Read Only) to End-User

Posted Feb 21, 2019 04:27 PM

Understood, appreciate your help, David!

• 10.  Re: Unable to update/reflect changes of Default Value (Large String) to End-USer

Posted Feb 20, 2019 12:39 PM

You can try also to disable,  enable the attribute and add to views,  it will recreate the views

• 11.  Re: Unable to update/reflect changes of Default Value (Large String) to End-USer

Posted Feb 21, 2019 10:16 AM

I'm going to try this at some point today and see what happens - will update once I do.

Appreciate your input, thanks!

Matt

• 12.  Re: Unable to update/reflect changes of Default Value (Large String, Read Only) to End-User

Posted Mar 25, 2019 06:44 PM

Did not work.

• 13.  Re: Unable to update/reflect changes of Default Value (Large String, Read Only) to End-User

Posted Feb 26, 2019 10:27 AM

Issue is still outstanding if there's any new ideas.

Changes made to the default value also do not reflect in Classic.   Once the default value of a large string is set, can it not be changed?

• 14.  Re: Unable to update/reflect changes of Default Value (Large String, Read Only) to End-User

Posted Feb 26, 2019 11:10 PM

Did you get your services restarted?

Are you creating the Project using a Template, if so, has the Template been updated?

Have you checked the Project Views - Fields, where the default value can be overwritten

Given you are SaaS, have you logged a Support case?

• 15.  Re: Unable to update/reflect changes of Default Value (Large String, Read Only) to End-User

Posted Feb 27, 2019 12:30 PM

I'm going to submit a support case now to request restart of services, will update once that's completed.

Yes, we're creating the project using a template and the template has been updated.

Also yes, I've checked Project Views - Fields where the correct default is listed, but it doesn't actually get populated when a new project is created (uses the old value).  The reason I used a Large String attribute is because the default text has line breaks, which is difficult to replicate using a normal String attribute.  Is there potentially a better attribute type available for blocks of text with line breaks?

• 16.  Re: Unable to update/reflect changes of Default Value (Large String, Read Only) to End-User

Posted Feb 27, 2019 02:57 AM

I think the solution can be in the previous roland.parrotte  post.

Otherwise you can XOG-out the project object, check "views" and values for defaults to detect the cause of your problem.

If something is wrong in XML, you can  correct the xml and XOG-in. (as the xml would be quite big, probably you should clean the XML and upload only those elements that you have modified and its ancestors )

• 17.  Re: Unable to update/reflect changes of Default Value (Large String, Read Only) to End-User

Posted Feb 27, 2019 12:32 PM

When I click the link provided for rolad01, it brings me to his/her profile -- is there a direct link you may provide to the post?  Thanks in advance!

I'm also new to XOG and XML but this is something I'll be researching to see if it may resolve the issue.

• 18.  Re: Unable to update/reflect changes of Default Value (Large String, Read Only) to End-User

Posted Feb 27, 2019 12:49 PM

Sorry, I added a wrong mention to roland.parrotte. I just corrected it.

• 19.  Re: Unable to update/reflect changes of Default Value (Large String, Read Only) to End-User

Posted Mar 25, 2019 06:43 PM

Question is not answered, and the issue persists even if read-only is NOT set.   I've submitted a support ticket.

Maybe a bug?

• 20.  Re: Unable to update/reflect changes of Default Value (Large String, Read Only) to End-User

Posted Mar 25, 2019 09:21 PM

Thought of a workaround by using a Lookup - String instead of a direct String attribute within the Project Object.  However, the issue persists even when deactivating the former lookup value, and updating the default of the project attribute to the newly created lookup value.  Hoping Support might have information.

• 21.  RE: Re: Unable to update/reflect changes of Default Value (Large String, Read Only) to End-User

Posted Jan 08, 2020 02:55 PM
    Hi, when I change the default value and hit save. It will not save the change. Wonder if this issue got resolved here?

• 22.  Re: Unable to update/reflect changes of Default Value (Large String, Read Only) to End-User

Posted Mar 25, 2019 11:02 PM

Hi, observation, didn't you submit a CA Support ticket back in Feb-2019 to restart the services?   Why the delay in following up with another CA Support ticket if the restart didn't resolve your issue?

• 23.  Re: Unable to update/reflect changes of Default Value (Large String, Read Only) to End-User

Posted Mar 26, 2019 10:31 AM

I did not restart services as other priorities arose.  Also, seems very tedious to have to stop services and restart every time a new default value is needed.