Clarity

• 1.  Timesheets for BAU activities

Posted Apr 08, 2019 03:45 AM

We are looking for a best way to track the effort for resources on BAU activities at practise level.

For ex: if resource A who is part of Testing practise, is working on project for 50% and remaining 50% on change request (non project) BAU activity. 

Is it a good idea to leverage other work and track that effort, instead of project BAU as that will not have start and finish dates like project? Only issue I see is BAU codes has to be setup per practise and track and maintain the resource allocations appropriately. Any thoughts on this please?

Regards

Praneeth

• 2.  Re: Timesheets for BAU activities
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 06, 2019 08:45 AM

Praneeth,

If you want to manage at the Other Work level, you may potentially have several other work items to cover all your BAUs.  This can cause a lot of overhead, however, it may be easier to exclude include these in reporting and resource management vs. using projects.

If you want to reduce overhead, you could make one project with several tasks.  Then if you want to restrict resources from reporting time to a BAU they should not, you can make it so they cannot add tasks to their timesheet..

Liz

• 3.  Re: Timesheets for BAU activities

Posted May 06, 2019 10:19 PM

A byproduct of using Other Work (or any NPIO) is that you can see your Project vs Non-Project split on the new UX timesheets. 

The other work vs ‘special’ project decision is site specific. Both have their own pros and cons. 

• 4.  Re: Timesheets for BAU activities

Posted May 07, 2019 12:58 AM

Hi Praneeth, 

Hope you are doing well! 

Apart from the points made in the earlier replies, I would ask you to check/consider any reporting requirements that may be driving the need for the capability. Some organizations, prefer creating BAU projects as it provides the ability to further breakdown the larger BAU bucket into identifiable chunks of work. Although that wouldn't be the case for true non-project work such as training, meetings, time-off, etc....for which Other Work would still be your best bet (And I am not even getting into a very old debate of using indirect time vs other work ).

Also, if the BAU activities are same, why do you need to have different ones per practice? If there is a reporting need, wouldn't you be able to pull that from the associated resource record? But then what do I know of your requirements  

Thanks,

Debroop