DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  Is it possible to add 200 new alerts easily? (e.g. without using WS GUI)

Posted Jun 10, 2010 03:08 PM
    We are looking at adding 200-300 alerts to our current Introscope configuration.

I was wonderign if there is an easier way to add alerts than to use the Workstation GUI which is quite slow to interact with?

Thanks,
    Jean

• 2.  RE: Is it possible to add 200 new alerts easily? (e.g. without using WS GUI

Posted Jun 11, 2010 03:38 AM
    Hi Jean,

you can edit the ManagementModule.xml of the .jar files in config/modules directory manually or via batch. Each .jar file is one Management Module from your Management Module Editor.

I have never tried that, though. :smile

• 3.  RE: Is it possible to add 200 new alerts easily? (e.g. without using WS GUI

Posted Jun 11, 2010 04:16 PM
    Hello!

Very good idea...

I will give it a try... with a good XML formatter and validator!

Ideally much easier to do than entering them one by one!

Thanks,
    Jean

• 4.  RE: Is it possible to add 200 new alerts easily? (e.g. without using WS GUI

Posted Jun 24, 2010 11:30 AM
    My advice is to:
    a) Limit the number of alerts you generate- each makes the EM a bit slower.
    b) write a small script to make the changes for you. You're much less likely to break the management module that way.

• 5.  RE: Is it possible to add 200 new alerts easily? (e.g. without using WS GUI

Posted Jun 24, 2010 01:04 PM
    This is very good advice.

To take it a step further, you can see the load your alerts are giving your EM by going to the following on your Investigator window:

SuperDomain|CustomMetricHost|CustomMetricProcess|CustomMetricAgent|EnterpriseManager|Internal|Alerts|SuperDomain

When there go to the Search tab and enter Number. Hit Go. Click on the value tab to sort from Highest to Lowest. Technically, if you have any over 200-300, CA says that is an issue. In our environment, we get worried if we have any over 1,000, but we are kinda nuts. (lol - just sayin' - not arguing with CA). This means you either should tweak the alert to have fewer metrics or turn it off, depending on the needs of your outfit. A trick someone at CA Wily support shared with us.

This also brings up another point. If you have alerts that are active but aren't necessary to your organization, turn them off. That reduces the load on the EM as well.

• 6.  RE: Is it possible to add 200 new alerts easily? (e.g. without using WS GUI

Posted Jun 25, 2010 09:06 AM
    Hello!

Thanks for the query ... very enlighting as we have a few alert processing over 1000 metrics... (We also have a few JVMs collecting over 25,000 metrics, but that's another story!) This is very good information to tune the EM!

SFines-UB, you mention to write a small script to make the changes. Do you refer to a script what would work twith the CLW or a different type of script e.g. to modify the Management Modules XML?

I looked at the CLW command, ans I can see how to enabl/disable alerts, or rename/delete alerts, but I do not see how to create them.

Thanks,
    Jean

• 7.  RE: Is it possible to add 200 new alerts easily? (e.g. without using WS GUI

Posted Jun 25, 2010 05:21 PM
    I would usually write a script that tweaks the management module xml. It's easier to tell when it fails if you do it that way and you can also use it when you need to do the work but are not connected to a network.