DX NetOps

Expand all | Collapse all

CA Spectrum events not showing

• 1.  CA Spectrum events not showing

Posted Apr 05, 2019 03:50 AM

Hello,

i want to know details regarding events storage as i  want to see a event today that occurs in January but i am unable to see any event in events tab.

what's the cause and how i am able to view old events??

• 2.  Re: CA Spectrum events not showing

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 05, 2019 07:39 AM

Hi Akash,

By default event data only goes back 45 days in the DDMdb.  If you need to see further back you would have to use Spectrum Report Manager (assuming you save the events that far back).

Cheers

Jay

• 3.  Re: CA Spectrum events not showing

Posted Apr 09, 2019 02:57 AM

Thanks Jason,

I recently empty the reporting DB because its consuming too much disk on my drive. never know that the events are representing in events tab through reporting Db. So what's the purpose of DDMDB and secondly what's about daily backup of DDMDB. after 45 days events are moved to trash??

customers demand is that the events  are available for at least 1 year.

• 4.  Re: CA Spectrum events not showing

Posted Apr 09, 2019 07:21 AM

There two different databases where events gets stored in Spectrum  , DDMDB and reporting db 

Events are retained in DDMDB only for last 45 days by default, events are available in reporting db for much longer duration and can be used for historical reporting . If you are looking to run historical reports for events , reporting db is the best place to look for . Events are not moved to trash after 45 days , they are available in reporting db for long term reporting , if you are looking to run reports for last 1 year  , make sure that you retain the data in reporting db

• 5.  Re: CA Spectrum events not showing

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 09, 2019 09:57 AM

Hi Akash,

The Events TAB of OneClick Console retrieves the data from the Archive Manager's DDMdb database, which OOB retains the data for 45 days only. Any data older than 45 days is purged. You can increase this value in the $SPECROOT/SS/DDM/.configrc file. Setting a high value should cause performance issue on the Archive Manager.

In CA Spectrum 10.3.x you can convert the DDMdb from MyISAM to InnoDB, which will partition the event table.

Upgrading - CA Spectrum - 10.3.2 - CA Technologies Documentation 

The reporting database is located in the OneClick machine with SRM (Spectrum Report Manager).

SpectroSERVER and CA Spectrum Databases Overview - CA Spectrum - 10.3.2 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Thanks,

Silvio

• 6.  Re: CA Spectrum events not showing

Posted Apr 11, 2019 01:55 AM

Fine Thanks a lot both of you i think i never increase the retention period for DDMBD because it will effect the performance of Spectrum. 

And retain the events in reporting DB so they are available if i search in event tab for any event more than 45 days.

Many thanks for clarification.

Regards

Akash

• 7.  Re: CA Spectrum events not showing

Posted Apr 11, 2019 06:09 AM

The events stored in reporting DB will not be visible to you from the events tab,  you can only run reports against it . If you want to see the events from the events tab, you need to retain the data in the ddmdb

• 8.  Re: CA Spectrum events not showing

Posted Apr 15, 2019 04:49 AM

that's totally seems funny to me as i never changed retention period of ddmdb i only did is empty the reporting db so i was able to see old data earlier but not now after doing that..

• 9.  Re: CA Spectrum events not showing

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 15, 2019 06:48 AM

Hi AK,

What is the firstt and last entry in the DDMdb event's table?

1) Open a bash shell (bash -login)

2) Go to $SPECROOT/mysql/bin directory

3) Run:

./mysql --defaults-file=../my-spectrum.cnf -uroot -proot ddmdb

Show the first and the last event in the DDMdb database:

SELECT FROM_UNIXTIME(MIN(utime)) AS FIRST, FROM_UNIXTIME(MAX(utime)) AS LAST FROM event;

Also take a look at this DOC: Best practices to maintain the size of reporting database (SRM -Spectrum Report Manager) 

Thanks,

Silvio

• 10.  Re: CA Spectrum events not showing

Posted Apr 16, 2019 07:56 AM

here is the result from your recommended command.

• 11.  Re: CA Spectrum events not showing

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 12, 2019 10:29 AM

Please also be mindful that the reporting data has data retention options that you can set.  By default, I believe it retains all data, so you will run out of disk if you are not purging.

Configure Data Retention:  Configure Data Retention - CA Spectrum - 10.3.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Also, in order for purging to be successful, the reporting database must be optimized to clear records that are marked for deletion. 

Manual purge:  How to Manually Purge Reporting Data from the Reporting Database - CA Spectrum - 10.3.1 - CA Technologies Documentation.