Service Virtualization

Expand all | Collapse all

Data Driven Virtual Service

• 1.  Data Driven Virtual Service

Posted Apr 09, 2019 02:13 PM

Hi- I have a requirement for a data driven SV. The service is SOAP. Request has just two fields-

1.AccountNumber

2.Password

Based on account number, the profile needs to be responded. We can’t respond with static data hence profile needs to be maintained in some data set from where profile can be fetched based on the “AccountNumber” field in request.

I will be having some 20,000 AccountNumber for which I need to setup this Data Set.

I was going through with Data driven virtual service creation from Portal and have some queries-

1.Can this solution be created for such large data like 20,000 records?

2.The request of the service in SOAP format and the key parameters in request are as “Attributes” and not “Arguments” after adding SOAP DPH. In order to have them as arguments, I need “Generic XML Payload Parser” DPH which is not available in Portal. Is there any way I can have GXPP DPH in Portal?

3.Can Data Driven virtual services be created in Workstation? If yes, please help.

4.Can virtual service created in Workstation and deployed in environment be modified in Portal? If yes, can Data driven option is feasible to added for those service?

Appreciate you help and suggestions!

Regards,

Ritu

• 2.  Re: Data Driven Virtual Service

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 10, 2019 01:25 AM

Hi Ritu

All very good questions. Please find below specific answers to your questions:

1.Can this solution be created for such large data like 20,000 records? 

It depends on the row size of your spreadsheet or CSV file. The max file size can be:

• Excel files can scale to about 3 MB.
    • CSV files can scale to about 15 MB

In order to understand Data Driving your virtual services, please read this recent article that has a working example:

ARTICLE: SVENG-DataDrivenVirtualService-HowtoAddMoreHorsePowertoYourVirtualService-040419-0511-58.pdf 

MAR File: MAR file that demonstrates the power of Data Driven Virtual Service 

2.The request of the service in SOAP format and the key parameters in request are as “Attributes” and not “Arguments” after adding SOAP DPH. In order to have them as arguments, I need “Generic XML Payload Parser” DPH which is not available in Portal. Is there any way I can have GXPP DPH in Portal?

GXPP DPH is an advanced protocol. Advanced protocol is supported from workstation

3. Can Data Driven virtual services be created in Workstation? If yes, please help. 

DATA driving a virtual service is supported only from PORTAL. However, DATA driving a virtual service, an additional behavior can be added to a virtual service at any point in time. In your case, you can create your initial virtual service from Workstation, use GXPP DPH and then come to portal and add the DATA-Drive behavior

4.Can virtual service created in Workstation and deployed in environment be modified in Portal? If yes, can Data driven option is feasible to added for those service?

Yes, very much, please refer to earlier question's answer. 

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Happy to help.

regards

Sankar

• 3.  Re: Data Driven Virtual Service

Posted Apr 10, 2019 06:30 AM

Thank you very much Sankar for detailed answers and your timely help.

One last basic question-I explored to update/modify the virtual service in Portal which was created and deployed via workstation but couldn’t do much. I couldn’t find any option to do so. Please if you guide me how to achieve this would be a great help.

Thanks much again!

Regards

Ritu

• 4.  Re: Data Driven Virtual Service

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 10, 2019 06:40 AM

Hi Ritu

You will be able to edit the VS in portal. Here is how this could be done:

1. Login to Portal

2. Go to Manage -> Virtual Services

3. Locate the Virtual Service that you want to edit

4. Click the EDIT icon (refer to screenshot below)

5. The VS Edit screen opens up and follow the screenshot to enable 'Advanced Mode' and go about enabling 'Data Driven Behavior'

-Sankar

• 5.  Re: Data Driven Virtual Service

Posted Apr 10, 2019 07:56 AM

Hi Sankar- I tried in this way already but I couldn’t locate the services in Manage which were created and deployed via Workstation.Only Portal created services could locate there. However Monitor shows all  . I’m not sure if I’m missing something in Manage option.

Please guide.

Regards

Ritu

• 6.  Re: Data Driven Virtual Service

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 10, 2019 08:03 AM

HI Ritu

Can you confirm your DevTest Version. I just confirmed that with 10.4, it is possible to create a VS from workstation and edit the transactions from PORTAL. 

-Sankar

• 7.  Re: Data Driven Virtual Service

Posted Apr 10, 2019 08:25 AM

Hi Sankar- I’m using 10.4 only and couldn’t locate my services in Portal which were originated from Workstation.

Please help if there is some other way to locate these services.

Regards

Ritu

• 8.  Re: Data Driven Virtual Service

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 10, 2019 09:08 AM

Hi Ritu

Please try to login to PORTAL as a Super User and check.

-Sankar

• 9.  Re: Data Driven Virtual Service

Posted Apr 10, 2019 09:48 AM

I tried with admin earlier but no luck. Let me spent some more time and see if I get success.

Is it sure that it works with 10.4? I will share my findings shortly with trying other users/browsers. But my previous trial with admin/admin on chrome didn’t work.

Regards

Ritu

• 10.  Re: Data Driven Virtual Service

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 10, 2019 10:11 AM

Yes, I have tried with 10.4

-Sankar

• 11.  Re: Data Driven Virtual Service

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 10, 2019 10:18 AM

Never looked into this from Portal side, but for this, is there not a requirement that the workstation project directory and the portal project directory need to be the same directory?

• 12.  Re: Data Driven Virtual Service

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 15, 2019 02:14 AM

You are a Genius Danny !

• 13.  Re: Data Driven Virtual Service

Posted Apr 10, 2019 09:26 PM

Hi Sankar- Here are few updates-

1. Yes, we can modify virtual services in 10.4 Portal which got created in Workstation BUT one key thing here is the Project contain the services which needs to be modified in Portal should be available in Project folder of the Registry server. My services were not there in Project folder hence I was not able to locate those.

2. Created virtual service for attached RR pairs in Workstation- added SOAP and GXPP protocol with GXPP, only field set as Argument is- "LoyaltyAccountNumber". Along with that two more arguments got added due to soap DPH- "RequestInfo" and "SecurityInfo".

3. Edit the service in Portal. Added attached data set. Mapped request's "LoyaltyAccountNumber" to data set's "LoyaltyAccountNumber". Didn't match anything to "RequestInfo" and "SecurityInfo". mapped Response to Data set's column- "Response"

4. Save and deployed service.

5. Services is returning- "Couldn't match" response. 

Not sure now what I'm missing here. Please if you can have a look for attached RR pairs and data set and guide me .

Appreciate your help and time.

Thanks much!

Regards,

Ritu

• 14.  Re: Data Driven Virtual Service

Posted Apr 11, 2019 09:24 AM

Hi Sankar/All - Please if any help and suggestions for this. We are in urgent need of this solution. 

Appreciate your response.

Regards,

Ritu

• 15.  Re: Data Driven Virtual Service

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 16, 2019 04:22 AM

HI Ritu, I will check and respond.

-Sankar

• 16.  Re: Data Driven Virtual Service

Posted Apr 16, 2019 09:42 AM

Sure Sankar. Thanks much!

Regards,

Ritu

• 17.  Re: Data Driven Virtual Service

Posted Apr 16, 2019 10:34 AM

It worked Sankar and able to have data driven service for my RR pairs. Thanks much for all the help.

Regards,

Ritu

• 18.  Re: Data Driven Virtual Service

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 16, 2019 11:04 AM

Good to know Ritu. Please do let the community know how did you make it work. I am sorry that I couldnt extend timely help. 

-Sankar

• 19.  Re: Data Driven Virtual Service

Posted Apr 16, 2019 11:12 AM

If the request arguments are Null and you try to map with data set, it won't display in dataset and we won't be able to map those.

So have some dummy values in Data set for those arguments which has Null value in vsi (while recorded).

Map the Dataset to service , now you will see those columns available for mapping. Save the service and deploy. Don't test now. Now make the values of columns to "Null" which were null earlier. Just save the service again and redeploy. That will have the match logic for the arguments which had null values earlier. Now test and now match logic will work as expected.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Ritu

• 20.  Re: Data Driven Virtual Service

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 16, 2019 11:26 AM

Super, thanks for letting us know. Appreciated.

-Sankar

• 21.  Re: Data Driven Virtual Service

Posted Apr 11, 2019 10:28 AM

Ritu,

Are you familiar with the TDM jars that allow you to treat an Excel spreadsheet as a database?  With that you can set a step up in the model that makes a call to an external spreadsheet (outside of the VSM) that can return the profile for you based on the attribute filtered from the incoming request. This resolves the issue of the dataset being too big because it isn't actually deployed to the VSE, but install called FROM the VSE.  It also allows you to increase the number of responses by just adding another row of data to your dataset.

• 22.  Re: Data Driven Virtual Service

Posted Apr 16, 2019 09:34 AM

Hi Jeff- This solution sounds great. Not sure which TDM jars are required here and which step I need to create in Model to treat Excel as DB. will this work fine for performance testing?

It would be of grate help Jeff if you could please share some more details about TDM jars and VSM steps, I would like to give a try to build this.

Thanks much.

Regards,

Ritu

• 23.  Re: Data Driven Virtual Service

Posted Apr 16, 2019 10:24 AM
      |   view attached

Attached is a couple of sample projects, with jars. I don't even know if the .jars are supported anymore but hopefully one of the CA Support reps that cruise these forums will chime in.
    I can't find any documentation that I used to have with this, but I'll look. Also, I think there are other references to this solution in these forums so you'll have to search around a bit. I hope this helps get you going.

The other option is to store you data in a database and have your VSM make a call to the database for the data needed.

Attachment(s)

• 24.  Re: Data Driven Virtual Service

• 25.  Re: Data Driven Virtual Service

Posted Apr 16, 2019 10:32 AM

Thanks much Jeff for the Projects. I built solution based on-

https://docops.ca.com/devtest-solutions/9-5/en/using/using-ca-service-virtualization/using-devtest-portal-with-ca-service-virtualization/data-driven-virtual-services

It worked and yet to test with Performance test and would like to try the project you share.

Thanks again!

Regards,

Ritu

• 26.  Re: Data Driven Virtual Service

Posted Apr 16, 2019 10:29 AM

Apparently the jars provided above were never 'supported' by CA. However, they are still working for us in 9.1.  If you have issues with them hopefully you have a java developer that can crack them open and maybe make them work.

Good luck!

• 27.  Re: Data Driven Virtual Service

Posted Apr 16, 2019 10:33 AM

Perfect! Thanks Jeff!

Regards,

Ritu