Clarity

• 1.  Is there a way to include the Overall Status of project on a Portfolio?

Posted May 17, 2019 01:10 PM

We are starting to explore the Portfolio functionality in the classic UX.  On the Investment tab we want to be able to add the Overall Status from the Status report object. It would also be useful on the Waterline portlet as well.

Is there a way to include the Overall status?  It is not currently listed in the available fields. 

• 2.  Re: Is there a way to include the Overall Status of project on a Portfolio?
    Best Answer

Posted May 17, 2019 11:22 PM

There is the Status Indicator, which is available on some of the Portfolio Views.  However, I had some challenges with this in the past, and can't recall exactly what those challenges were, but think it related to all my PPM clients don't use OOTB calculations for the Overall Status, so the Status Indicator didn't fully work.

Alternatively, you could create a Overall Status attribute on Project, and have a Update/Insert Process on the Status Report, to push the latest inserted/update Overall Status from the Status Report to the Project.  Push the new attribute over to the Portfolio Investment, and it then can be used on majority of the Portfolio Views.

• 3.  Re: Is there a way to include the Overall Status of project on a Portfolio?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 22, 2019 09:49 AM

Hi Todd - 

Did Roland's response help?  Do you have any other questions?

• 4.  Re: Is there a way to include the Overall Status of project on a Portfolio?

Posted May 22, 2019 11:25 AM

Hi Todd - Here is what I would do. Create a new attribute with data type = "Aggregate" (Aggregate Calculated Attribute) to capture the overall status from the latest status report. Then add the attribute to the Portfolio Investment Registry (so that it becomes available on the Waterline and other Portfolio views). 

Let me know if this works for you. Or, if you have any questions. 

Thanks,

Regards,

• 5.  Re: Is there a way to include the Overall Status of project on a Portfolio?

Posted May 22, 2019 08:45 PM

Debroop can you expand on this, as Aggregate calculations are based on Average, Count, Min, Max and Sum (at least for numeric attributes which the Overall Status is).  The Overall Status Report required is based on the Latest Status Report and using that Overall Status.  How does the aggregate work out which is the latest status report and just pick up the Overall Status?

• 6.  Re: Is there a way to include the Overall Status of project on a Portfolio?

Posted May 22, 2019 10:36 PM

Hi Roland, 

In this example - the way to pick the latest status report is by using the "Filter" to restrict the results to the latest status report. The Calculation should just fetch the numeric value of the "Overall Status". Something like the expression below should work: 

You can define Display mapping on the Attribute on the parent object to be consistent with the display mapping of the Overall Status. 

Let me know if this works for you. 

Thanks,

Regards,

Debroop

• 7.  Re: Is there a way to include the Overall Status of project on a Portfolio?

Posted May 22, 2019 10:53 PM

Debroop, thank you for the above solution, I would personally use 'Created Date', rather than 'Last Updated Date' in the filter, in case the PM goes back and updates an old Status Report, but the concept is really good.  I did not think to use the filter option to find the latest status report.

I haven't pushed it over to the Portfolio,  I'll TSB to complete this part, and to confirm if it fully works.