Layer7 API Management

• 1.  Does CA API Gateway support OpenJDK ?

Posted Aug 20, 2018 08:47 AM

Our company is pushing to use OpenJDK on all servers, and I'm trying to find any docs detailing whether or not CA API Gateway (Layer 7) can be run and supported on OpenJDK?

• 2.  Re: Does CA API Gateway support OpenJDK ?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 20, 2018 10:28 AM

Hi Brad, 

At the moment we do not support OpenJDK . For  which part of API are you looking ? 

When you use the appliance the Java runtime is included. 

Are you looking for policy manager to support OpenJDK ? 

Regards 

Dirk 

• 3.  Re: Does CA API Gateway support OpenJDK ?

Posted Aug 20, 2018 10:58 AM

Hey... thanks for the quick response! Our push is to avoid the additional costs of licensing java when possible, since Oracle's starting to charge for java after Jan 2019. So if it's part of the appliance, then it's not really a concern for us then?

• 4.  Re: Does CA API Gateway support OpenJDK ?
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 20, 2018 01:26 PM

Hi Brad,

That is my understanding too, that it is CA licensing Java in this case and not yourselves when you use the CA API Gateway appliance. If you use the software form factor rather than our virtual or hardware appliance images, however, then I believe the Java part does become an onus for the customer in that case. As long as you're using our provided images, you won't need to worry about licensing Java with Oracle on them.

To answer the original question, no - we do not currently support OpenJDK.

• 5.  Re: Does CA API Gateway support OpenJDK ?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 21, 2018 10:34 AM

Hi Brad,

Indeed if you run a appliance which is provided by CA we have to take care of the java license included with the product and the needed updates in the platform patches.

If you run a software gateway you have to have installed a JDK by yourself and the licence will be on the customer .

Regards Dirk

• 6.  Re: Does CA API Gateway support OpenJDK ?

Posted Aug 21, 2018 12:43 PM

Awesome... thanks for the clarifications!