Service Virtualization

• 1.  DevTest upgrade without affecting current version on the same server

Posted Oct 24, 2018 02:31 PM

Hi,

How can I upgrade our DevTest 10 to DevTest 10.4 without affecting the existing install? Is it possible that a new set of windows Services be created for my Registry, ED, VSE, and etc for version 10.4? Can I choose different ports for my new install for the DevTest components?

Regards,

Saman

• 2.  Re: DevTest upgrade without affecting current version on the same server

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 25, 2018 12:46 AM

Hi,

Do you want to use DevTest 10.0 and 10.4 in the same operating system?
    If you use only installer for DevTest 10.4, then the Windows Services for DevTest, then installer will overwrite WIndows Services for the components in DevTest 10.4.
    But if you define the Windows Services for DevTest 10.0 componsnts manually(and use different names) before installing 10.4, then you can use the DevTest 10.0 and 10.4 components from Windows Services.

And if you want to change the ports for the DevTest components(10.0 or 10.4), I did not try but I think you need to change them manually.
    Here is the information about the default ports in DevTest.

Default Port Numbers

Thank you

• 3.  Re: DevTest upgrade without affecting current version on the same server

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 25, 2018 02:02 AM

Let’s start with the “why”? What is the reason to install these 2 versions on the same server?

Do you need to be able to run them concurrently? Or will you be using them alternatively, i.e. shut version 10 down then start up version 10.4 to validate the new version works ok in your environment, then switch back to 10, etc… then later do the final switch

Yusuke already pointed out some attention points for using them concurrently, I would like to add:

•   duplicate databases (if you are using an external database).

•   Is this a “one server” installation, or are there VSEs, Coordinators, Simulators installed on additional servers

So, it should be feasible, but I don’t know of any instance when it was ever actually done.

I would have several versions simultaneously on my laptop but I used them alternatively (never use 2 versions at the same time). My way of working would be:

•   Shut down the devtest services

•   Rename the devtest installation folder. On my system it was installed in C:\CA\DevTest and I would include the version number e.g. C:\CA\DevTest_10

•   I would install the new version in the C:\CA\DevTest directory

•   Start up the services

•   Whenever I needed to switch to a particular version, it would be: shut down services, rename current working version to its specific directory, rename wanted version directory to C:\CA\DevTest, start the services.

In this scenario you do not have to worry about defining 2 sets of service definitions, you do not have to worry about ports.

I used Derby (internal) database for the last version so I would not have to worry about duplicating databases.

Which approach would you need?

Cheers,

Danny

• 4.  Re: DevTest upgrade without affecting current version on the same server

Posted Oct 29, 2018 01:12 PM

Hi Danny,

The reason I wanted to do this is because at our company we are using DevTest 10 and we want to upgrade to DevTest 10.4. While we want to install 10.4 and migrate services and test to make sure everything is working fine, we want the users to not get interrupted with their day to day activities using DevTest 10. Once we test version 10.4 and all services are working ok, then we will uninstall version 10.

We have a one server installation and if possible for a short amount of time we want to be able to run the both versions in parallel to reduce down time.

For the database, we are using MS SQL 2016 for DevTest 10 but for DevTest 10.4 in the beginning we will use derby. Once we uninstall DevTest 10, we will change the database for DevTest 10.4.

P.s. Are the services we created for version 10.0 completely compatible with version 10.4? we have mainly used IBM MQ Native protocol as well as http/https.

Regards,

Saman

• 5.  Re: DevTest upgrade without affecting current version on the same server

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 30, 2018 05:19 AM

Yes, services created for version 10.0 should be completely compatible with version 10.4, if you experience otherwise then you should open up a support issue.

Cheers,

Danny

• 6.  Re: DevTest upgrade without affecting current version on the same server

Posted Oct 29, 2018 01:16 PM

Hi Yusuke,

Yes, for a short period of time both versions will be on the same operating system until we determine version 10.4 is working fine for our users then we uninstall version 10.

So if I understand correctly, I should change the name of the services under windows services for version 10 before installing version 10.4 and this way they won't get overwritten. Makes sense. Thanks.

For changing the ports, I should do this manually after running the installation correct?

Regards,

Saman

• 7.  Re: DevTest upgrade without affecting current version on the same server
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 06, 2018 01:26 AM

Hi,

Sorry for late response.

>For changing the ports, I should do this manually after running the installation correct?

Yes, you are correct.

Thank you,