DX Application Performance Management

Expand all | Collapse all

Basic java process agent POC

Jump to Best Answer
  • 1.  Basic java process agent POC

Posted 10-05-2018 05:16 AM

Hi all,

Im practicing with CA-APM in orther to obtain a agent that consumes the less possible but offer the metrics that fullfill our requirements. After several tests I have to open this question to know what im doing bad.

Now I´m trying a very very simple test, a simple java that was packaged as jar with this main:

public static void main(String[] args) {
       for (int ii=0; ii<1000000; ii++){
          try {
             Thread.sleep(4000);
          } catch (InterruptedException e) {
             e.printStackTrace();
             }   
        }
    }

I downloaded the "JAVA AGENT FILES FOR ALL APPLICATION SERVERS" and then use the wily folder that i found in "IntroscopeAgentFiles-NoInstaller10.7.0.115allappserver.unix.tar"

So i move that wily folder to my unix server, and also my jar.

I have edited the default IntroscopeAgentMicro.profile to call the default-full.pbl and launch my java agent and jar as follow:

nohup <PathToJava>/java/bin/java -Xms256m -Xmx256m -XX:+UseParallelGC -XX:+UseCompressedOops -XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:+PrintGCDateStamps -Xloggc:<PathToGCLog>2018-06-12_03-21-15_gc.log -XX:+UseGCLogFileRotation -XX:NumberOfGCLogFiles=5 -XX:GCLogFileSize=10M -javaagent:<PathToAgent>/wily/Agent.jar -DagentProfile:<PathToAgent>/core/config/IntroscopeAgentMicro.profile -DagentManager.url.1=<MOM-IP>:5001  -Dcom.wily.introscope.agent.agentName=contadorMinimo/<MACHINE_NAME> -jar <PathToJAR>/contador.jar  &

What first shocked me its that no files are generated on <PathToAgent>/logs/

On workstation im able to find the Agent but its only reporting "Agent Stats", "GC Heap" and "Host" metrics. I was specting at least find the "CPU" metrics. What im doing wrong? its obvious that an active java process must have a CPU usage associated so i cant understand why its not reporting.

Can somebody help me with that please?

Best Rgds and thx in advace

• 2.  Re: Basic java process agent POC
    Best Answer

Posted 10-05-2018 08:42 AM

Hello,

is this a typo in the post

-javaagent:<PathToAgent>/wily/Agent.jar -DagentProfile:<PathToAgent>/core/config/IntroscopeAgentMicro.profile

this should look like

-javaagent:<PathToAgent>/wily/Agent.jar -DagentProfile:<PathToAgent>/wily/core/config/IntroscopeAgentMicro.profile

to find your profile.

In general only some data will collected (like CPU, GC metrics) for your simple test application.

Unfortunately, your application is not an real java (JEE) application, the agent can't collect usefull matrics data therefore.

Bye, Lutz