Rally Software

• 1.  US not splitting correctly

Posted Jun 11, 2018 10:41 AM

I am having trouble when I split my stories to carry over to another iteration. This just happened for the first time. When I split my story, the new story stayed in the old sprint and the old story carried to the new sprint. I did not do anything differently than before. Also, some of my team members have been having a hard time viewing all the stories/projects in the current sprint as well as the Sprint Admin and Non-Sprint work User Stories that I set up. 

• 2.  Re: US not splitting correctly
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 11, 2018 10:51 AM

Splitting stories has always worked this way -- the original story moves forward, and a new (placeholder) story is created in the current (old) iteration.

Manage Unfinished Work | CA Agile Central Help 

• 3.  Re: US not splitting correctly

Posted Jun 11, 2018 10:58 AM

Thank you Tyke. I am new to this software.

• 4.  Re: US not splitting correctly

Posted Jun 11, 2018 10:54 AM

Hi there, wonderwoman3.

I think I had the same experience.  And I came to the conclusion that it was By Design.  When you Split a User Story, the US number that everyone's memorised through the whole last Sprint continues to be the one to work on, carried forward into the next Sprint, and on balance I think that benefit outweighs the alternatives.

The Tasks that have been completed go into a new for-the-record User Story that remains in the ended Sprint.
    Ticking the box to create a second new User Story as the parent of those two allows you to 'expand all' on that one and its Children to view the whole piece of work, which can be a very helpful perspective.  (I used to hate it when a PO didn't tick that because he didn't see the benefit...)

Best, 

--Nev.

• 5.  Re: US not splitting correctly

Posted Jun 11, 2018 10:59 AM

Hi Nev. P,

Thank you for the suggestion. I will use it in the next sprint. I think it would be better is I am able to see all of the stories associated.