DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  MOM Migration

Posted Nov 23, 2018 12:23 AM

Hi Experts

We are Moving MOM from Windows to Linux we have few doubts regarding that:

1. What files we have to move.

2.  Do the services of MOM has to be down because there will be some files in which data is updated continuously.

3. Is it a better approach to first create the Linux mom and move the required files.

Thanks

• 2.  Re: MOM Migration
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 23, 2018 05:25 AM

Hello Imran,

1. the list of files is available from this page as mentioned in a previous post

Upgrade Introscope Manually - CA Application Performance Management - 10.7 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Windows MOM 

2.Yes, you have to stop the MOM EM services before you start the migration of data. 

3. Installing a new fresh EM should take a few minutes only but I understand this process might not be simple on every customer environment, so yes, having a new ready installation will help you have the new MOM ready available sooner.

Regards,

Sergio

• 3.  Re: MOM Migration

Posted Nov 26, 2018 02:13 AM

Hi SergioMorales

What will be a better approach for Migration:

1- Creating a secondary MOM and moving the files from primary to secondary

2- Creating a secondary MOM and configuring failover and make the secondary MOM permanently Primary.

Thanks

• 4.  Re: MOM Migration

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 26, 2018 07:47 AM

Dear Imran:

I could open this as a new branch. But want to keep as one thread. It is not clear what criteria that "better" is based on

- Time to do 

- Ease of implementation 

Etc. 

Option 1 could involve less configuration

Option 2 could mean less steps and no need for a file transfer

Thanks

Hal German

• 5.  Re: MOM Migration

Posted Nov 26, 2018 07:57 AM

Hi Hallett_German

In the option 2 how will the secondary mom use all the configuration files and database.because for the failover we are not going through the shared file resources option.

please elaborate the both options a little as it is a production environment.

and In the option 1 the current MOM is a window and the Mom on which it has to be moved is linux,so which files are not supported in linux that cant be moved as it is.

Thanks

• 6.  Re: MOM Migration

Posted Nov 28, 2018 12:32 AM

Hi

We wanted to know which file from the windows mom are not supported in the Linux mom as windows and Linux have different file formats.

We cannot simply copy paste the files which are not supported in Linux.What will be the aprroach please provide some help on this.

Thanks

• 7.  Re: MOM Migration

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 28, 2018 07:15 AM

As you are moving from win to unix environment, you will need to manually update the config files with your custom settings, you will need to find out this with your team

About the Smartstor and Traces database, you can zip and then unzip the files in the new unix system, it should work as these are binary files, I have just done a quick test in my lab and I can see all previous historical data from my win env.

• 8.  Re: MOM Migration

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 28, 2018 08:51 AM

Dear Imran:

This is two threads in one. Normally I would branch. But did not want to risk having an orphan thread without the answers. I marked the first question as answered and believe the latest response from Sergio  addresses question two. 

So believe this is set.

Followup questions should be in a new thread referring to this one.

Thanks

Hal German