Layer7 API Management

• 1.  MIME Message Failure?!

Posted Oct 12, 2018 03:05 PM

I have a back-end server that is making a post call to my API Gateway with a body, using the following header:
    Content-Type:    multipart/related;type="text/xml";start="part0";boundary="--------uuid:e4b3c9ca-ef03-6ddb-c27f-b4e7708d6cc2"

The gateway then routes it to the endpoint which is a vendor URL, but it does not make it to the Vendor at all...

What's even more intriguing is that the request message does not even get logged in the gateway. Instead I get the following message:

"Unable to get request XML: Multipart stream ended before a terminating boundary was encountered"

Not sure what is happening, but it seems that the Gateway does not like this header and is rejecting it before it can even route the message.

• 2.  Re: MIME Message Failure?!

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 14, 2018 08:32 PM

Hello David,

It seems the request body didn't match the mime format.

How did you send the request, from SoapUI? (if you compose the request, you will need to follow the mime format. The error indicates the request body is missing the ending boundary.)

Regards,

Mark

• 3.  Re: MIME Message Failure?!

Posted Oct 15, 2018 09:28 AM

Hi Zhijun,

I'm not sure that's the issue.. I am using postman to run this test.

I am making a call from my Back-End Server to my Gateway, which would then route it to my Vendor URL, using postman.

- This is what is failing..resulting in the error I mentioned above.

As a test... I am making the same call from my Local Machine to the Vendor URL, using the same postman file.

- This is working somehow..

I confirmed with the vendor that the endpoint url they gave me has no firewall restrictions and they are not whitelisting any specific IPs as it is open for everyone.. as such I know that the network connectivity is working fine.

If it hit the endpoint url from my local machine it works but if I go through my gateway it fails...thus I am not sure if it is the post call itself, or something in the gateway that is turning it down.

• 4.  Re: MIME Message Failure?!

Posted Oct 15, 2018 12:54 PM

A quick note for completeness: This was opened as a support case with CA Support and filed as CA#01215232.

Once the support case is resolved, we should update this community post with the solution/outcome. We should ideally not try to tackle both areas at the same time because it can lead us in different directions and affect the outcome of various tests/RFI being conducted by CA Support.

• 5.  Re: MIME Message Failure?!
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 20, 2018 04:07 PM

From the conclusion of the case, the end closing tag for the multi-part related needed to have two hyphens in  terminating boundary as the gateway was not able to determine the end of the payload with only one hyphen.

Sincerely,

Stephen Hughes

Broadcom Support