Clarity

• 1.  Revision of Cost Plans on Monthly basis and Impacts

Posted Mar 27, 2019 01:52 AM

Currently, PMs in our org has been using Cost plans and they have got a practice of creating a new cost plan every month, once actuals are posted from financial system and they revise the previous month's planned cost to match up with actuals and mark the new cost plan as plan of record. I am trying to analyze the impacts of not doing that, which means they only reforecast for the future months(not on monthly basis) and not bother about matching up actuals. I could only see impact in the reports being used internally, where total forecast cost is showing as planned cost (where ideally forecast cost should be actuals to date + remaining forecast of the project). The reason why I am trying to do this is to find the exact project forecast and monthly burn rate. But, in the current circumstances when I do a graph of monthly burn rate, planned is always equal to actuals, which ideally is not the case.

Can I get more inputs regarding the impact of not doing this activity by PMs on a monthly basis?

Regards,

Praneeth

• 2.  Re: Revision of Cost Plans on Monthly basis and Impacts

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 29, 2019 05:55 PM

Praneeth,

In reports and in Forecast in the new UX this is calculated as   actuals to date + remaining forecast of the project.  

If you are trying to look at spend to plan you lose that when creating new plans each month.

Based on the Financial Forecast Review by Investment

Forecast (Calculated) This is the actual cost posted through the prior fiscal period plus the planned cost beginning in the current fiscal period.

Forecast Remaining This is the actual cost posted through the last complete fiscal period plus the planned cost remaining in the cost plan of record after the last complete fiscal period. For example, if the project's as of date is 05/20/2015, then forecast remaining is actual cost through 04/30/2015 plus planned cost in fiscal periods after the fiscal period ending 04/30/2015.

Financial Forecast Review by Investment - CA PPM - 15.6 - CA Technologies Documentation 

In the new UX the definition is that same:

Under Analyze Cost Plans at

https://docops.ca.com/ca-ppm/15-6/en/using/getting-started-with-the-clarity-ppm-new-user-experience/new-user-experience-… 

• 3.  Re: Revision of Cost Plans on Monthly basis and Impacts

Posted Mar 31, 2019 08:41 PM

Hi Liz,

Thanks for your response. PMs when creating cost plan on monthly basis they create a copy of the existing plan of record and update planned to match actuals and change future forecasts on monthly basis, which means they are not creating a new version every time.

We are still not into New UX. Hence, trying to assess the impact of PMs not doing these monthly activity of creating new versions of the cost plan to match up actuals to planned values in Classic.

Regards

Praneeth