CA Service Management

• 1.  Pros and Cons of Multiple webengines on application server

Posted Oct 16, 2018 03:48 PM

Hey Community,

I would like to get your real time experience and feedback on  multiple web-engines on single application servers.

In our site, there are excessive number of web-service transactions, to handle the traffic we have different set of the application servers, specific to providing web services.

Background Server

Standby server

Application Server - 1

Application Server - 2

Application Server - 3

Application Server - 4

Application Server - 5

Application Server - 6

1,2,3 application servers are exposed to web users and 4,5,6 are specific to providing web-services.

Now, I would like create multiple(more than 2) CA SDM web-engines on single application server, before doing it would like to know the Pros and Cons of having multiple web-engines on single application machine.

Thank you,

Regards,

Venkat

• 2.  Re: Pros and Cons of Multiple webengines on application server

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 17, 2018 11:57 AM

Venkat, in AA env, if you expect a lot of traffic to the app server, definitely you would need to consider adding more webengines to the app server. I can see the pros as more workload can be handled and the cons? you may need to

consider the following:

--more network bandwidth from the app server to the database server and between the bg server with all app servers

--more app server resources would need

--the end users now have two urls to access the app--pdmweb.exe and pdmweb1.exe(assuming you add another webengine)--and end users may just go to the first one as you used to be, though you tell them to use the second

one. So you may need to add a webdirector and publish its url as pdmweb_d.exe for all webengines

I am sure there should be more out there so hope others add to this discussion. It is a very good one. Thanks _Chi