Automic Workload Automation

• 1.  Restoring login objects - no passwords restored along with it !?

Posted May 29, 2018 04:40 AM

Greetings and salutations!

The following is a tale of a 10.0.3 engine with a 10.0.8 Java client.

After a password entering snafu, one of our users used the Documentation tab to restore an older version of a LOGIN object. Much to his surprise, then, a large number of production jobs are currently falling flat. It appears AE does restore old LOGIN objects, but it does NOT restore the passwords contained therein?

We tried this ourselves then, with a simple LOGIN object. Made a job with it, ran it. Purposefully broke the password - observed the job will not run. Use AE's versioning feature to restore the initial version of the LOGIN object, and the job will not run due to an improper password.

We've also looked at the hashes in the database: All "recovered" passwords have pretty much the same hash (except for the first few bytes).

So my question is: Has anyone experienced this, too, and to anyone in an Automic official capacity: Is this by design, and if so, is it documented?

The documentation states that LOGIN objects have versioning, and I didn't find any special notes on LOGIN objects. If true, I think there should be an unmistakeable warning in the client before allowing anyone to restore (potentially large) LOGIN objects.

Cheers,

Carsten

• 2.  Re: Restoring login objects - no passwords restored along with it !?
    Best Answer

Posted May 29, 2018 03:39 PM

Yoho my old friend!

hmm just in the moment I realize that I have no clue of your age .... :-)

So Yoho my good friend :-)

We had a similar (and strange) issue back in V9 one &colleague# (thats a script variable with value "myself") accidently overwrote a login object.

We restored the previous version and it worked.

Another day the same happened - another colleague another login object and it did NOT work...

And Yes I am aware that this does not help very much - but its a valid and true answer.

cheers, Wolfgang

• 3.  Re: Restoring login objects - no passwords restored along with it !?

Posted May 30, 2018 03:40 AM

hmm just in the moment I realize that I have no clue of your age .... :-)

Let's see. There was nothing noteworthy on my birthday according to Citation Needed Monthly Magazine (for shame!), but it was the same month Larry Flynt was shot. Which probably makes me 40, but barely. I don't look a day older than 39 though, especially with my Guy Fawkes mask on.

Mentally, I'm seven.

And Yes I am aware that this does not help very much - but its a valid and true answer.

Thanks! I will proceed to file for either an UN resolution or an Automic Idea, whichever has more chances.

Cheers,

Carsten

• 4.  Re: Restoring login objects - no passwords restored along with it !?

Posted May 30, 2018 04:16 AM

I've just tried this in 12.1.1+hf2, and to my surprise I was able to restore a login object including passwords. Puzzled.

I'm truly going to need a statement from Automic now. ainda02 , can we get information if this behaviour was changed between 10 and 12 ? Thanks!

• 5.  Re: Restoring login objects - no passwords restored along with it !?

Posted May 30, 2018 07:06 AM

We have also seen this problem before, although I do not remember with which version.

• 6.  Re: Restoring login objects - no passwords restored along with it !?

Posted May 30, 2018 07:55 AM

Thx. I would also mark this as correct, but apparently correct answers is like Highlanders: There can be only one.

Thus, take a thumbs-up please.

Cheers,

Carsten