Rally Software

Expand all | Collapse all

Product Announcement - Have You Tried Custom Chart? Check Out What's New!

• 1.  Product Announcement - Have You Tried Custom Chart? Check Out What's New!

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 08, 2018 11:19 AM

Many of our users have discovered the power of using the Custom Chart app in the app catalog, and morky01 has added some new functionality to make it even more awesome! For those of you that haven't tried out Custom Chart, this is a powerful app that allows you to display and export data in many ways with options to create several chart types on a variety of work items.

Where To Find It

Custom Chart is part of the Community App Catalog, which means it will show up in the app catalog if your subscription admin has enabled the Community App Catalog.

If you don't have the Community App Catalog enabled, sub admins can also add this to their Subscription App Catalog to make it available to everyone in their subscription.

Without having it in the Community App Catalog or adding it to the Subscription App Catalog, you can still add a Custom HTML app to your custom page and copy the source for Custom Chart into it.

How To Use It

Once you've created a custom page and added this app to it, you can use the gear icon in the top right of the app to select Edit

The app settings will let you decide everything from the chart type to the work item type to display, the field to aggregate on, and 

Some cool things that you could do with a Custom Chart are:

• View your defects by resolution to determine how many require code changes versus user education.
    • View your stories by estimate to see if story sizes are generally too big or too small which would indicate the team should recalibrate their sizing.
    • View your features by investment category, aggregated by story leaf plan estimate to assess how you’re spending your time across your portfolio and adjust accordingly.

New Functionality

Setting Owner To Current User

To make the data seen by each user more personal, you can set the Owner to {user} for a custom chart on a shared page. This will make it so each person viewing the page will see data specific to them. For example, you could update the settings on your Custom Chart to show the stories that each person owns aggregated by feature:

New Aggregation For Dates

Another new feature is the ability to aggregate data on Custom Chart for different date increments. If you set the Aggregate By to any date field, you'll see new Bucket By options.

With these new options, you can create all sorts of date-based chart, like this one that shows number of stories created by month:

Support for Risks

If you are participating in the risk work item beta, you can now use the Custom Chart app to view data about your risks. For example, you can create a column chart to track risk creation by week stacked by response:

Improved Labels on Pie Charts

In addition to the category and percentage on pie charts, we've added a count to the pie chart labels and tooltips, which should make it easier to get all of the information you need.

Feedback?

If you have any feedback about this app or any others, please feel free to add a comment to this Community post!

• 2.  Re: Product Announcement - Have You Tried Custom Chart? Check Out What's New!

Posted Jun 08, 2018 11:22 AM

• 3.  Re: Product Announcement - Have You Tried Custom Chart? Check Out What's New!

Posted Jun 14, 2018 04:39 PM

I love the changes to this app, especially the ability to set date aggregation!

One challenge I have, though, is when stacking by State (e.g. a chart about portfolio items) I want the stacking to be in State order.  It works properly for Schedule State on Defects and User Stories, but when I use Features and pick State they display in some weird order, not even in alphabetical order.  These are the states we're using - I numbered them based on the order defined in the field settings:

If that could be fixed it would be a big win.

• 4.  Re: Product Announcement - Have You Tried Custom Chart? Check Out What's New!

Posted Jun 18, 2018 04:08 PM

Glad you're finding the app valuable!

You're right- that's super confusing!  There are a couple other issues related to the order of stacks in the github repo as well.  Let me try to dig in a little bit and see how difficult this would be to fix...

Kyle

• 5.  Re: Product Announcement - Have You Tried Custom Chart? Check Out What's New!

Posted Jul 13, 2018 06:08 PM

morky01 if I may add to Terry's input, I've also noticed that the color scheme associated with the states is not consistent.  For example, we have a dashboard where we display the velocity and story count by team and what I've noticed is that the system displays the next color available when one of the states is missing for one of the teams.  See attached screenshot.

It would be great if each state has a fixed color. Thank you.

Carmen

• 6.  Re: Product Announcement - Have You Tried Custom Chart? Check Out What's New!

Posted Jul 16, 2018 10:57 AM

That's super weird carmen.long...  The issue mentioned above with the out of order PI states has been resolved, and I thought the schedule state ordering was taken care of as well.  Are the screenshots above from the in-product community app catalog version of the app on rally1?  Can you take a post a screenshot of your settings so I can try to repro the issue?

Kyle

• 7.  Re: Product Announcement - Have You Tried Custom Chart? Check Out What's New!

Posted Jul 16, 2018 04:36 PM

morky01, thanks for your reply.  Here are the latest screenshots as of 1:30pm PST on 7/16.  I rebooted my machine prior to taking the screenshots.

Settings are:

Chart Type = Column

Type = User Story

Aggregate By: Iteration

Aggregation Type = Plan Estimate Total (for velocity chart) and Count (for story count)

Stack by = Flow State

Query = Project.Name = "Team's Name"

• 8.  Re: Product Announcement - Have You Tried Custom Chart? Check Out What's New!

Posted Jul 16, 2018 06:14 PM

morky01  I think the issue may be that she's using Flow State rather than Schedule State for these charts.  Does the code know how to interpret the order of Flow States based on their schedule state mapping and order on the Team Board?

• 9.  Re: Product Announcement - Have You Tried Custom Chart? Check Out What's New!

Posted Jul 16, 2018 08:19 PM

terry.ginzburg, once again you are my light at the end of the tunnel, thank you. morky01, Terry is correct.  After changing from Flow State to Schedule State, our charts are consistent all across.  Thank you both!

• 10.  Re: Product Announcement - Have You Tried Custom Chart? Check Out What's New!

Posted Jul 17, 2018 10:36 AM

Glad you got it working.  I filed an issue to track the incorrect ordering of flow states.  Should be quick to fix!

When stacking by flowstate, series are out of order · Issue #52 · RallyCommunity/CustomChart · GitHub 

• 11.  Re: Product Announcement - Have You Tried Custom Chart? Check Out What's New!

Posted Jul 17, 2018 11:42 AM

Thanks for your help morky01

• 12.  Re: Product Announcement - Have You Tried Custom Chart? Check Out What's New!

Posted Aug 24, 2018 03:33 PM

Just to close the loop on this, the flow state ordering issue was fixed in production back in July.  Chart on!

• 13.  Re: Product Announcement - Have You Tried Custom Chart? Check Out What's New!

Posted Aug 24, 2018 03:38 PM

And we love it!  

Now we have a new request, I'm sure it's simple...   Can you give the chart drill-in capabilities, so users can click on a segment (pie wedge or column section) and see the actual data included in the chart? I recommended they use a page with a 2/3 / 1/3 layout, put the chart on one side and a custom list with the same data on the other side, but drill-in would be really cool 

• 14.  Re: Product Announcement - Have You Tried Custom Chart? Check Out What's New!

Posted Aug 24, 2018 03:53 PM

That is definitely a cool idea!  

There are a couple issues already posted on the github repo that are related to this idea.

In the meantime you do know you can export *all* the data in the chart using the export button in the top right corner, right?  Not a perfect solution to your request, but maybe serviceable until we get a chance to look into your request a bit more...

• 15.  Re: Product Announcement - Have You Tried Custom Chart? Check Out What's New!

Posted Aug 24, 2018 08:32 AM

Excellent new features!  I have a request to bucket releases by months.  Understanding that releases are free form text for names, there are inherit release dates.  Will these be added to the option to bucket by?

• 16.  Re: Product Announcement - Have You Tried Custom Chart? Check Out What's New!

Posted Aug 24, 2018 03:34 PM

I'm having a little trouble understanding what exactly you're trying to do.  Can you show a screenshot of your desired settings, or some picture of the chart you'd like to be able to create?  Thanks!

• 17.  Re: Product Announcement - Have You Tried Custom Chart? Check Out What's New!

Posted Aug 27, 2018 07:53 AM

Thanks for replying.  My goal is to use the “release” field, but as a date.

I know that the “release” field name is user defined in timeboxes, but I would like to build graphs off of the release date and bucket by month.

• 18.  Re: Product Announcement - Have You Tried Custom Chart? Check Out What's New!

Posted Jan 09, 2019 03:18 PM

morky01, I am using the custom chart and getting different results between the custom chart and custom list depending on user permissions.  I would assume the same data would be returned.  Any ideas? (see screenshots)  

Sub Admin or Workspace Admin sees this:

Viewer, Editor or Proj Admin see this:

However, if I do a Custom List on Users and have different saved views, I get the same results as the Subscription and Workspace Admins do.  (Only difference is that the dates aren't filled in in any of the date fields )

Sub Admin and Workspace Admin Custom List

Viewer, Editor, Project Admin Custom list View