DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  Unable to see Websphere MQ TT

Posted Aug 15, 2018 03:33 PM

Hi Team,

We have one application deployed on Weblogic and this application is talking to Websphere MQ. This Weblogic application starts it processing when there is some messages arrive to its JMS queue which is pushed via WMQ.( means JMS queue is always populated by WMQ)
    We have already instrumentated Weblogic Server with Weblogic Agent and the MQ server with MQ PowerPack(MQMonitorAgent).But still we are not able to see the TT of WMQ server. Now I am wondering what went wrong and what more config do i need to do.The options i am evaluating now are
    1. Enable crossjvm transaction tracing @ Weblogic end.(Already implemented but still not able to see the WMQ TT)
    2. Use MQ Java connector along with Weblogic Agent.(Not sure whether it will work as per doc it only works with Websphere Agent).
    3. Both the above options.

Note: whole purpose of this exercise is to see the crossjvm transaction tracing.

Will be grateful to you if you can guide me as well as suggest me the right approach if I am wrong.

Cheers

Jay

Cell No:551-263-9681

• 2.  Re: Unable to see Websphere MQ TT
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 16, 2018 01:05 AM

Hi Jay,

The MQ Java Connectors Agent should work OK with WebLogic Agent.

For the MQ Agent Cross Process Transaction Tracing you need to have MQAgent.properties property "mq.crossprocesstracing.enabled=true" and also enabling handshake is recommended.

You might have already seen these docops links:

Transaction Tracing - CA Application Performance Management - 10.7 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Configure MQ Agent - CA Application Performance Management - 10.7 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Also this KB:

How does the WebSphere MQ Agent Cross Process Tran - CA Knowledge 

A known problem here: MQ traces not visible in MQMonitor Agent - CA Knowledge 

If you continue to have problems, suggest to enable DEBUG logging on both MQMonitor Agent and MQ Java Connectors Agent to see if you can spot anything. If still no progress creating a support case might be the best option.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Lynn

• 3.  Re: Unable to see Websphere MQ TT

Posted Aug 16, 2018 10:43 AM

Hi Lynn,

Thanks a ton for the update. Will definitely the implement the suggested steps and will update you.

I have gone through the below link

MQ-traces-not-visible-in-MQMonitor-Agent/KB000007526

The customer is using the WebSphere MQ 9 and 10 they are very much apprehensive about using the older version jar file due to IBM support complications.

Will it be possible for you to suggest the latest jar files.

Note: MQ Monitor Agent is installed remotely. Can you please confirm whether we are still able to see the TT after implementing the above suggested steps.

Cheers

Jay

• 4.  Re: Unable to see Websphere MQ TT

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 16, 2018 11:37 PM

Hi Jay,
    MQ V9 is the latest supported release with 10.7
    https://pcm.ca.com/dyntbl.php?search=mq&mod=pclink&op=Search&solution=grp-APM&version=APM%3B10.7%3Bx&os_version=&jvm_version=&appserver_version=&compat_target=&dosearch=yes&solution=grp-APM&version=APM%3B10.7%3Bx&op=Search&dosearch=yes&submit=Search

Have you already installed the required IBM 3rd party files in your MQMonitor agent environment per this page i.e. the PCF jar file (com.ibm.mq.pcf.jar) and other WebSphere MQ 9.x files:
    https://docops.ca.com/ca-apm/10-7/en/implementing-agents/ibm-websphere-mq/prepare-to-install#PreparetoInstall-ObtainThird-PartyLibraries

Those files should be part of the "IBM MQ Classes for Java": 

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSFKSJ_9.0.0/com.ibm.mq.dev.doc/q030590_.html

The KB000007526 refers to this type of error in the MQMonitor agent log because the PCF jar file had not been installed:
    Exception in thread "<QUEUE_NAME>|<host-name>" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: com.ibm.mq.pcf.PCFHeader: method <init>()V not found
    If you are not seeing that then there should be no problems related to the PCF jar.

Using MQMonitor remotely should not be a problem

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Lynn

• 5.  Re: Unable to see Websphere MQ TT

Posted Aug 29, 2018 09:43 AM

Hi Lynn,

We used MQ Java connector along with Weblogic Agent.But still we are not able to see the GUID of TT for crossjvm TT.

Contacted the Support and Sustain Engg team confirmed that the MQ Java connector is built to support only the IBM JMS.

That is the reason it is mentioned in the doc that  it only works with Websphere Agent.

Cheers

Jay