DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  How to get Alerts using API

Posted Sep 17, 2018 06:31 AM

Hi,

I'm monitoring a Java Application with the help of APM agent. For that I have downloaded the APM agent (Java_v1.tar file) and extracted this tar file then passed the path of the wily/Agent.jar file which I got after extracting the tar file, to JVM argument and after that I am able to see the data for java application on CA dash board and also able to set alert. Now I want to get these alerts using API call, SQL REST API or any other technology.

Thanks in advance.

• 2.  Re: How to get Alerts using API
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 17, 2018 07:21 PM

Hello Ramya.ave,

May I ask which exact version of CA APM Java Agent are you using please? I am assuming it is a typo in your post above, as I am not aware of an APM Java Agent with a v1 version. The APM Java Agent versions that are currently supported and available are v9.x and v10.x.

By default, CA APM offers Alert feature out of the box. You can create simple and summary alerts in the CA APM Workstation and associate desired alert action (notification) to it. The alert actions available include Console Notification, SMTP Email Notification, SNMP Alert Action and Shell Command Alert Action. To use the CA APM Workstation, you will need to install the CA APM Enterprise Manager.

- For details on how to create and configure Simple Alerts using the CA APM Workstation, please see Create and Configure Simple Alert

- For details on how to create and configure Summary Alerts, please see Create and Configure Summary Alert

- For details on how to create and configure these alert actions, please see Create and Configure Notification Actions in the Workstation.

Hope this addressed your needs.

Feel free to let us know if you have any further question at all.

Regards,

Aryne

• 3.  Re: How to get Alerts using API

Posted Sep 18, 2018 01:30 AM

HI Aryne,

I have followed 3 steps of CA Application Performance Management Free Trial - CA Technologies. From there I got this Java_v1.tar file. I extracted that and got wily folder. In that wily folder I got some files and "Agent.jar" file. I passed that wily/Agent.jar file path as jvm argument for my java application and was able to see data in my CA APM cloud account (https://******.apm.cloud.ca.com/apm/appmap/ApmServer/#/dashboard?......) and also able to set alert on them. But I want to get the alert notification from any external API or SQL API call.

Hope got what I want.

Please tell me if I have done anything wrong or missed any.

• 4.  Re: How to get Alerts using API

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 18, 2018 08:16 PM

Hi Ramya.ave,

Thanks for the additional details.

Have you gone through the SQL REST API option that Lynn suggested?

I see the same has also been discussed in the following thread:

REST API for CA APM open alerts (APM SaaS for DXI)

Please let us know if that addressed your needs.

Regards,

Aryne

• 5.  Re: How to get Alerts using API

Posted Sep 19, 2018 01:57 AM

Hi Aryne,

Yes that is the same issue.

I think my Issue will be solved if I get EM.

Thank you

• 6.  Re: How to get Alerts using API

Posted Sep 19, 2018 06:46 AM

Hi Aryne,

That thread was helpful to me but I want to get data of the alerts I have set at https://......apm.cloud.ca.com/ dashboard based on average response time with there severity like Danger or Caution.

If it is possible to get transaction level data/alerts please tell.

Thank you

• 7.  Re: How to get Alerts using API

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 17, 2018 07:33 PM

Hi Ramya,

Further to Aryne Chee 's advice if you want to access the alerts via external api call there are a couple of options:

1. SQL REST API (from Enterprise Manager 10.7 SP2 onwards):

SQL REST API - CA Application Performance Management - 10.7 - CA Technologies Documentation 

To access the alert state you can use this metric_path in the metric_data table query:

SuperDomain|Custom Metric Host|Custom Metric Process|Custom Metric Agent|Alerts|{MM name}|{Alert name}

2. Using Command Line Workstation (CLW) is an alternative option which has been in the product for many releases:

java .... -jar CLWorkstation.jar query state of alerts matching (.*) in management modules matching (.*)

CLW Command Reference - CA Application Performance Management - 10.7 - CA Technologies Documentation 

The CLWorkstation.jar can be found in the lib directory under the Enterprise Manager install or Standalone Workstation install.

Hope that helps

Regards,

Lynn