Symantec Privileged Access Management

• 1.  CA PAM Enterprise Password Vault

Posted Aug 09, 2018 10:27 PM

Hello,

Please excuse my basic question I'll have my certifications done next month.

Can you install CA PAM just as an Enterprise Password Vault?  How would the solution be deployed? Or is this an integrated part of the product.

The background is that I have a client who does have CA PAM but "seems" not to like how it handles password vault especially for numerous web based and custom apps. They from the application development space not operations. We are committed to CA PAM as we have several client and a new generator of use are gaining certifications.

My unformed view and feedback from the customer is that it takes a different approach that Enterprise Passed Manager or CyberArk, thoughts?

Regards,

Steve...K.

• 2.  Re: CA PAM Enterprise Password Vault

Posted Aug 10, 2018 01:12 PM

Password vaulting is one part of PAM's integrated solution.  In theory it could be licensed just for the Password Management features, but that would limit you to just viewing passwords.  You would not be able to use PAM to auto connect to the target servers.

You say they do not like how PAM handles the password vault.  That's rather vague.  Can you give more details?  Perharps we can make suggestions to allay their concerns.

• 3.  Re: CA PAM Enterprise Password Vault
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 14, 2018 12:03 AM

Thanks for the reply, I've got our security architect talking to the client to get the specifics of their concerns/criticisms. I'll post that information when I get it later in the week.

Just to clear up my last post they now have CA PAM  installed (win) and are starting using it for the traditional privileged access management to log on to servers/etc.  The complaints from the test groups are mostly from the developer types. So the ask now is around password management/vault capability..

More soon...

• 4.  Re: CA PAM Enterprise Password Vault

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 14, 2018 10:14 AM

Hi Steven, To me it looks like they are interested in A2A functionality. For A2A accounts PAM is the credential vault.