Layer7 API Management

• 1.  How to send different responses for a same request??

Posted Dec 14, 2017 02:04 AM

Hello All,

I have one scenario where i need to send a different responses for a same request(i.e) for first hit of the request i need to send a different response , second hit i need to send a different response and finally for third hit i need to send different response. So for one particular request i need to send three different responses.

Transport Protocol: Http/s

• 2.  Re: How to send different responses for a same request??

Posted Dec 14, 2017 09:40 AM

Hi Ragul,

My first though would be to use a cache to store the number of requests from a client. This way you can also easily set a time for the requests and you don't need to build up some kind of external solution. But the cache also has some limitations: it is single node and won't survive a gateway restart. But if that's not a problem, I think the cache can be a solution.

Regards,

Michiel

• 3.  Re: How to send different responses for a same request??

Posted Dec 14, 2017 10:09 AM

I am not very clear as to what is the condition that must be met for a different response to be sent. If the requirement is

1st Hit à Response 1

2nd Hit à Response 2

3rd Hit à Response 3

I would start a counter in a variable and keep increasing it for each hit. Then forward the request to another service within the same gateway or another gateway.

Regards

Seenu Mathew

• 4.  Re: How to send different responses for a same request??

Posted Dec 14, 2017 10:17 AM

Hi Seenu,

I assume you would have to keep that counter in a cluster property or external in a DB to have it available across requests, right?

My concern would be that you probably have to start a counter for each client, resulting in a hug list of cluster properties which you probably also want to clean up automatically at some point. By using the client-id or some other identifier as the cache key, you could easily achieve this.

In the end the best answer all depends on the details of the requirements.

Regards,

Michiel

• 5.  Re: How to send different responses for a same request??

Posted Dec 19, 2017 02:49 AM

HI Michiel,

Please find below the details of my requirement:

User will be logging in with invalid credential for three times. For first two times, i need to send a error message as a response and for the third time i need to send another error message as response.

As I am quite new to CA i don't know how to use cache. It would be a great help for me if you tell me how to use that.(In this case i know the exact email id what user going to give in the request.)

• 6.  Re: How to send different responses for a same request??

Posted Dec 19, 2017 02:55 AM

Thanks Seenu. You are right. I have explained my requirements to Michiel.

Please find below the details of my requirement:

User will be logging in with invalid credential for three times. For first two times, i need to send a error message as a response and for the third time i need to send another error message as response.

If we use a counter variable will it no get reset whenever the gateway closes?? My question might be silly.. Since i am new to Service Virtualization i want to understand how this variable thing works.

Regards,

Ragul Murugesh.

• 7.  Re: How to send different responses for a same request??
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 20, 2017 04:10 AM

Hi Ragul,

Here is a good description about how the Cache assertion works

https://docops.ca.com/ca-api-gateway/9-1/en/policy-assertions/assertion-palette/service-availability-assertions/store-to-cache-assertion

Regards

Seenu Mathew 

• 8.  Re: How to send different responses for a same request??

Posted Dec 20, 2017 10:07 AM

Thanks Seenu.. So for the above mentioned scenario using cache is the only method or is there any other method we can try??

• 9.  Re: How to send different responses for a same request??

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 20, 2017 07:20 PM

Dear Ragul ,

I agree with MichielHelder , cache assertion is not cluster-wide, using it as counter may not be accurate.

You may think of remote cache (which is a tactical assertion, you can open a support ticket to ask for it), or you can persist the counter to database using jdbc connection.

Regards,

Mark