Rally Software

• 1.  Is there a way to have a Feature belong to multiple Feature Groups?

Posted Jul 31, 2017 03:34 PM

I have a number of Features rolling up to a Feature Group in MY organization that we are regularly reporting on and tracking. The actual work is for another organization who wants to track our progress and wants us to roll our Features up to THEIR Feature Group, leaving me with no way to report on and track the Features in my own organization. Open to suggestions on how best to work through this apparent conflict without causing additional work. Thanks.

• 2.  Re: Is there a way to have a Feature belong to multiple Feature Groups?

Posted Aug 01, 2017 07:13 PM

Could you please elaborate what you meant by Feature Group ? Is it another hierarchy in portfolio?

Reporting and hierarchy can be managed by project and portfolio and there are some best practice mentioned for different situation in Rally help.

• 3.  Re: Is there a way to have a Feature belong to multiple Feature Groups?

Posted Aug 03, 2017 10:59 AM

Coach_Kevin could you provide any more information? We'd love to help if we can!

• 4.  Re: Is there a way to have a Feature belong to multiple Feature Groups?

Posted Aug 03, 2017 01:47 PM

The portfolio hierarchy is as follows:

The enterprise has one or more "Line Of Business" items

Each "Line of Business" has one or more "Investment Initiative" items

Each "Investment Initiative" has one or more "Epic" items

Each "Epic" has one or more "Program" items

Each "Program" has one or more "Feature Group" items

Each "Feature Group" has one or more "Feature" items

Each "Feature" has one or more user stories

I'm trying to solve the problem of two organizations, each with their own "Feature Group" items wanting to "own" my "Feature" and its associated user stories. 

• 5.  Re: Is there a way to have a Feature belong to multiple Feature Groups?

Posted Aug 07, 2017 05:48 PM

Kevin, 

So basically - if the other project (organization) is a "sibling", meaning it's not in the same vertical hierarchy as the other one you want to share with, then there is not really a way to do that directly as it doesn't roll-up the same way. 

That said, that doesn't mean you can't assign work to a different project - you certainly can. That said, it would now be under that project and if it's outside of the hierarchy then it won't roll up the same way, unless they both share a parent (or grandparent, great-great grandparent, etc).  

I hope that was clear as mud.