Rally Software

Expand all | Collapse all

Revision Notifications

• 1.  Revision Notifications

Posted Aug 09, 2018 11:46 AM

We need to monitor our project to see if any new user stores and defects are added/deleted or changed.  Can anyone suggest the best approach to retrieving this data?

Thank You

Kathy

• 2.  Re: Revision Notifications

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 09, 2018 11:49 AM

Hi Kathy,

You can enable email notifications for any specific artifact, check this out:

Notifications: How to receive an email notificatio - CA Knowledge 

Let us know if helped.

Sagi

• 3.  Re: Revision Notifications
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 09, 2018 11:54 AM

Kathy, 

That article shows you how to set up notifications for newly created items. You can check out the available fields and operators to figure out how to set up notifications for specific changes you're interested with.

An alternative approach is to use webhooks for this which you can find here, but that is longer to develop:

Manage Webhooks | CA Agile Central Help 

Sagi

• 4.  Re: Revision Notifications

Posted Aug 09, 2018 01:56 PM

Thank you .   I was able to create what I needed.

• 5.  Re: Revision Notifications

Posted Aug 10, 2018 09:59 AM

Is there a way to get a notification with all changes made just in the previous day?

Sagi_Gabay

Regards,

Nivi

• 6.  Re: Revision Notifications

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 14, 2018 11:45 AM

Hi Nivi,

Unfortunately not. Check out this thread and my last reply to a similar question, where I mentioned that the rule criteria is limited and doesn't allow for expressions (such as date = yesterday): Notifications 

However, since you're asking about the previous day then why would you need a notification?

You can probably run some Lookback API query or another query to find what happened yesterday.

What specifically would you like to know about what happened the previous day?

Thanks,

Sagi

• 7.  Re: Revision Notifications

Posted Aug 14, 2018 11:50 AM

Hey Sagi,

I'm not sure I know what you mean by "run a lookback API". 

We are in need to knowing any changes that happen with any user stories the previous day. We want to be able to get a report once at the end of each day with these changes. 

Can you help with this please?

Regards,

Nivi

• 8.  Re: Revision Notifications

Posted Aug 14, 2018 12:29 PM

Hi Niveditha, 

Check out Rally App SDK 2.0rc3 Docs  for more on Lookback API. 

"The Lookback API provides a historical view of your Rally data. A snapshot is stored each time an artifact change is detected.
    By aggregating and/or analyzing these snapshots over time it is possible to gain unique insight into the health of your agile process."

If you don't want to create your own app just to look at changes, you could use a (custom and unsupported) app like this one: GitHub - nmusaelian-rally/revisions 

Just to add my 2 cents though - it seems incredibly expensive to track any and all changes to all stories, when Agile Central already does this via revision history. Having a report for this would generate a LOT of information. 

• 9.  Re: Revision Notifications

Posted Aug 14, 2018 12:44 PM

Hey John,

I know what you mean by "lot" of information. But I have a pretty persistent request about this. 

Also I already tried out the app you suggested, the only thing is it doesn't have any filters, so it's difficult to thumb through changes.

I tried to replicate it with custom list and then in excel add-in export, but neither of these give me the revisions field with information in it.

Is there no other alternative to this request?

Regards,

Nivi

• 10.  Re: Revision Notifications

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 14, 2018 02:09 PM

Hi Nivi,

The only way to access this information is using the Lookback API.

Excel and the apps access the current information. You are asking for changes made yesterday which don't have to be current. There may have been subsequent changes to those made yesterday , or it could be that a number of changes happened to a certain object yesterday.

The only way to access this data is using the Lookback API.

You will have a number of challenges:

1. The amount of data (as John mentioned already).

2. The Lookback API doesn't support expressions to lookup by dates. You can't build a query that says: "yesterday" and expect that Lookback API will know every day which day was yesterday. The API takes hard coded dates.

Here is an example:

https://rally1.rallydev.com/analytics/v2.0/service/rally/workspace/<WorkSpakce_ObjectID>/artifact/snapshot/query.js?find={"FormattedID":"US239","_ValidFrom":{"$gt":"2018-08-13T00:00:00.000Z"}}&fields=["ScheduleState","_SnapshotDate","_SnapshotNumber"]&hydrate=["ScheduleState"]&compress=true&sort={ "_ValidFrom": 1 }

This query above is asking for the changes for a user story that has FormattedID = US239 since 08-13-2018. 

You can't have an expression that will dynamically compute a date. This means that you will have to re-generate a similar query every day.

There are even more challenges such as taking into account the types of artifacts you'd like to query about, also converting the output JSON to your desired format.

I just wanted to give you a 'feel' as to what is involved with this.

Sagi

• 11.  Re: Revision Notifications

Posted Aug 15, 2018 09:29 AM

Hey Sagi,

Wow, that's a lot of work. 

I don't think we'll pursue this idea anymore. 

So, thanks for the effort you put into giving me those details without which I would have just continued on.

I just wish it wasn't so difficult to get this information.

Regards,

Nivi