Automic Workload Automation

Expand all | Collapse all

pertaining to Mainframe jobs, I have contention between two different jobs in two different Workflows. Is there a way to set one or the other job to sit and wait for the conflicting job?

• 1.  pertaining to Mainframe jobs, I have contention between two different jobs in two different Workflows. Is there a way to set one or the other job to sit and wait for the conflicting job?

Posted May 25, 2018 12:15 PM

2 jobs in two different Workflows. When both are trying to run, they have contention between the two, hold up an intiator and job swapped out. Is there a parameter or something I can put into UC4 so they don't both run together?

• 2.  Re: pertaining to Mainframe jobs, I have contention between two different jobs in two different Workflows. Is there a way to set one or the other job to sit and wait for the conflicting job?

Posted May 25, 2018 02:16 PM

Hi

there are several possibilities.

#1: put them in a seperate Queue and reduce slots to only one slot (simplest method)

#2: you can use scripting methods to set a value in a VAR in prescript

#3: using a SYNC object

possibly #4: it might work using external dependencies but i am not sure and did not try it myself

cheers, Wolfgang

• 3.  Re: pertaining to Mainframe jobs, I have contention between two different jobs in two different Workflows. Is there a way to set one or the other job to sit and wait for the conflicting job?

Posted May 25, 2018 04:17 PM

My favorite solution for this is the SYNC object.   

• 4.  Re: pertaining to Mainframe jobs, I have contention between two different jobs in two different Workflows. Is there a way to set one or the other job to sit and wait for the conflicting job?
    Best Answer

Posted May 27, 2018 09:46 AM

QUEUE or SYNC are usable to get a visible contention.

Suggestion

SYNC with 3 states : AVAILABLE, IN_USE, LOCKED

AVAILABLE => job can start

IN_USE  => job must wait as another job is running

LOCKED => no job can run, something is prohibiting run of any job

pro for SYNC :

- unlimited number of objects can refer the SYNC object

- possibility to monitor the SYNC and have a logging of the activity

- attached to the object, regardless how it is used

- works regardless how it is activated but can be bypassed ("ignore sync function in activity window")

pro for QUEUE :

- simple monitoring

- unlimited number of objects

- can be modified dynamically to accept more parallel run (careful if application logic doesn't support parallel runs !)

- can stop runs by simply stop the QUEUE or set it to accept 0 object activation

Cons for SYNC :

- not a familair object for many people

- need to be set properly to work without trouble (not too many states please !)

- not visible in the activity window, only status can say if object is in waiting status for SYNC to be available

- cannot be dynamically modified for allowing multiple parallel runs

Cons for QUEUE :

- is permanently in the activity window regardless of the usage => too many QUEUE to monitor if this option is largely used

- attribute can be overriden by upper level attribute (Job vs Workflow, Workflow vs Schedule, Objects in JOBGROUP, ....)

- no log of activity of objects in the QUEUE like for the Agents

Hope this can help you to make a choice.