Rally Software

• 1.  Drilling Down, not up in Custom List

Posted Dec 05, 2018 11:11 AM

Hello,

In Rallydev, I am trying to create a custom list and have been searching on here and other websites on how to successfully drill down but cannot find an answer.  I am trying to show all of the initiatives where it's children (features) have a Tag of "xyz".

I have tried:

(Child.Tags.Name = "xyz")

(Feature.Tags.Name = "xyz")

(PortfolioItemFeature.Tags.Name = "xyz")

...along with many others that probably don't make much sense. I have found that it is possible to drill up in the hierarchy but trying to use that syntax is not working...

User Stories Associated with a Parent

(Parent.FormattedID = 18)

Is what I am trying to do possible in this platform and how would I go about it?

Thanks!

• 2.  Re: Drilling Down, not up in Custom List
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 05, 2018 12:28 PM

Hi Mike.

You should be able to use: (Children.Tags.Name = "MyTag").

See:

Let us know if that helped.

Sagi

• 3.  Re: Drilling Down, not up in Custom List

Posted Dec 05, 2018 02:36 PM

Hi Sagi,

Thanks for the reply, using Children.x helped filter the iterations but didn't help with the underlying issue of when I now drill down into the initiative, all of the features show, not just those tagged with x (MDA for example in screenshot).  Is having the initiatives and the drilled-down features be filtered based on this condition?

Thanks,

Mike

• 4.  Re: Drilling Down, not up in Custom List

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 05, 2018 02:57 PM

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. Can you share your exact filter (you said: Children.x - but I guess that's not what you actually are using). It should be something like that: (Children.Tags.Name = "<Name of your tag>")  , can you try it just with one tag first?

Thanks.

Sagi

• 5.  Re: Drilling Down, not up in Custom List

Posted Dec 05, 2018 03:03 PM

Hi Sagi,

I am using (Children.Tags.Name = "MDA").  It is populating all the initiatives that has one or more features that have the tag of MDA (which it is supposed to do). However, when I try to drill down (via the arrow on the left), it is showing all of the features for that initiative, not just those that have the MDA tags.

Thanks for your help,

Mike

• 6.  Re: Drilling Down, not up in Custom List

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 06, 2018 12:17 PM

Hi Mike,

Yes, you're correct. It's basically filtering on the Initiatives (by their children's - i.e features - tags) but it won't 'hide' the non-qualifying features, but it will list them all. The Features in this case are not the main object for display, it is the Initiative. Which is why the children features are all listed under the filtered initiatives.

I can't think of a way in which you will both filter the initiatives and also their children. Probably the best way (maybe only way) is to add the Tags column and then simply sort by this column so you can see which features have the tags you need and which not.

That helps?

Sagi

• 7.  Re: Drilling Down, not up in Custom List

Posted Dec 06, 2018 12:31 PM

Unfortunately, sorting on the Tags column doesn't work (neither does sorting on Milestones).

The only solution for I've found for this kind of reporting is a fully custom app or pulling the data through the API and filtering it in another tool (e.g. Excel).