Automic Workload Automation

• 1.  Oracle client version

Posted Jan 06, 2016 03:05 PM
    I feel a little silly asking this question, but I honest to goodness can't find this in the HELP.  In the theory that "there are no dumb questions" I will go ahead and ask.  :-) My Oracle db will be 12c.  Does the Oracle client on my workstation / laptop (for the utilities) HAVE to also be an Oracle 12c client?  I honestly never thought about this - we always installed the same version, but where I am at now doesn't have the 12c client packaged - they are saying I should use the 11g client.  If I had a system up I'd just test it out, but I don't and I need to know if I have to submit a request to have the 12c client packaged or not, which will take time, so hoping someone can point me to the HELP page.  I'm not sure why I'm missing it.  Thanks.

• 2.  Oracle client version

Posted Jan 07, 2016 11:59 AM
    You need the ORA client for Automation Engine AND Utilities

every component that has the section: [ODBC] and SQLDRIVERCONNECT=....   needs the ORA client
    (for MS SQL an ODBC entry)

DOCU (does only mention AE)

Install the appropriate ORACLE client software on the Automation Engine computer in order to enable access to the database. Note that the ORACLE-client version must correspond to the ORACLE version in use.

http://docs.automic.com/documentation/AE/10.0/english/AE_WEBHELP/help.htm?product=awa#ucablp.htm%3FTocPath%3DAdministration%2520Guide|Installation|New%2520Installation|Installation%2520Procedure|Setting%2520up%2520the%2520Database|_____3

Usually if you run the utilities from the same machine as the AE runs - there is no need for additional ORA clients

• 3.  Oracle client version

Posted Jan 07, 2016 01:24 PM
    Our AE will be on Solaris.  Will certainly have utilities installed there as well, but also like to have the Windows utilities installed to load license, etc.  Honestly, we were told you could load a license via batch, but never had time to really pursue getting that to work.  Has anyone done that?

Thanks for the link.  I read that page like 5 times, but missed that one line.   :/

Thanks for the answer - I will get working on getting the Oracle 12 client.  Much appreciated!

• 4.  Oracle client version

Posted Jan 08, 2016 05:22 AM
    Its no big deal to load licenses via batch - when the environment variables fit :-)

Just did it on SUSE last year:  ucybdbld -B -X[path to license file].TXT

as alternativ you can also use the java command

Workaround for commandline noobs like me: create a linux job that loads any file and/or transport case :-)

• 5.  Oracle client version

Posted Jan 08, 2016 09:06 AM
    Thanks FrankMuffke .  I still like having the utilities available to me on my workstation, but I'll test out the loading the license via batch. 

• 6.  Oracle client version

Posted Jan 11, 2016 11:08 AM
    always welcome :-)

Just as Hint:
    There is one big advantage having the utilities only on the Server the AE is running on:

If you have more Systems running there is no possibility to load-by-mistake something somewhere in a system  you don´t want to :-)

• 7.  Oracle client version

Posted Jan 11, 2016 12:38 PM
    I generally have multiple installations of the utilities - with each set of INI files pointing to the appropriate db - exactly for that reason.  Anything to avoid oopsies.  :smile:   Thanks!